Programming Phoenix 1.4 (PragProg)

Don’t accept the compromise between fast and beautiful: you can have it all. Phoenix creator Chris McCord, Elixir creator José Valim, and award-winning author Bruce Tate walk you through building an application that’s fast and reliable.

Chris McCord, Bruce Tate @redrapids and José Valim

edited by Jacquelyn Carter @jkcarter

Don’t accept the compromise between fast and beautiful: you can have it all. Phoenix creator Chris McCord, Elixir creator José Valim, and award-winning author Bruce Tate walk you through building an application that’s fast and reliable. You’ll learn from the Phoenix creators what to do, and why. Updated for Phoenix 1.4, this definitive guide will be your constant companion in your journey from Phoenix novice to expert.

Start working with controllers, views, and templates within the first few pages. Build an in-memory context, and then back it with an Ecto database layer, complete with changesets and constraints that keep readers informed and your database integrity intact. Craft your own interactive application based on the channels API. Write your own authentication plugs, and use the OTP layer for supervised services.

Any book can tell you what to do. When you’ve finished this one, you’ll also know why to do it.

“I write Elixir for a living, and Programming Phoenix was exactly what I needed. It filled in the sticky details, like how to tie authentication into web applications and channels. It also showed me how to layer services with OTP. The experience of Chris and José makes all of the difference in the world.”

– Eric Meadows-Jönsson, Elixir Core Team

• Full details: Search
  • View this book’s portal and details on how to post errata and suggestions here.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

5 Likes

This is the classic book of phoenix. Would you consider an upgrade to the latest version?

4 Likes

Glad I’m not the one thinking of this. Curious, what’s the difference between that and recent one that could benefit from revision?

3 Likes

There are quite a bit of change since 1.4.

1. Change of jsbundler from webpack to esbuild
  2. Change of recommended file structure and module convention by elixir
  3. Introduce HEEx template, Mailer & Authentication
  4. Liveview Huge Upgrade

Source

4 Likes