Programming Flutter (PragProg)

Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic without having to use separate XML UI files. Reuse existing platform-specific Android and iOS code and interact with it in an efficient and simple way.

Carmine Zaccagnino @carminezacc

edited by Michael Swaine @michaelswaine

Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic without having to use separate XML UI files. Reuse existing platform-specific Android and iOS code and interact with it in an efficient and simple way.

Use built-in UI elements — or build your own — to create a simple calculator app. Run native Java/Kotlin or Objective-C/Swift methods from your Flutter apps, and use a Flutter package to make HTTP requests to a Web API or to perform read and write operations on local storage. Apply visual effects to widgets, create transitions and animations, create a chat app using Firebase, and deploy everything on both platforms.

Get native look and feel and performance in your Android and iOS apps and the ability to build for both platforms from a single code base.

Carmine Zaccagnino is a web and mobile developer who has struggled for years building Android apps using the standard SDK and, in a lesser way, Web-based tools. His experience in development areas other than mobile development has led him to be particularly bothered by the lack of a native (or close to native) framework that can bridge together Android and iOS without losing low-level access to hardware and software, until Flutter did exactly what was needed.

“This book is a comprehensive journey into Flutter. It is a reference for practical suggestions, useful tips, and solid advice, without sacrificing the details.”

—Alessio Salvadorini, Creative Technologist, Nokia

• Full details: Search
  • View this book’s portal and details on how to post errata and suggestions here.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com” at checkout :+1:

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m the author of the book, feel free to ask or start a conversation about anything and I’ll do my best to answer or contribute to the discussion!

Also, in case you don’t know, I’m active on Twitter sometimes and I’ve got a blog which I consider to be a sort of extension of the book, as I cover many topics that people wanted to see in the book but that really would have made it go off the rails in terms of length if included.

I will answer (and have answered to those who have asked) any questions here, on Twitter or via email, depending on what mode you see fitting for what you want to ask or talk about: I’m totally up for any conversation, especially about the book and in general about Flutter: about how great it is, where it’s going, what are its advantages compared to other SDKs or really anything that doesn’t end up being toxic or slanderous.

Anyway, I hope many of you come out to talk about the book or Flutter over here, and I hope I can be helpful to you!

6 Likes