Programming Crystal (PragProg)

Crystal is for Ruby programmers who want more performance and developers who enjoy working in a high-level scripting environment. It combines native execution speed and concurrency with Ruby-like syntax.

Ivo Balbaert and Simon St. Laurent

edited by Andrea Stewart

Crystal is for Ruby programmers who want more performance and developers who enjoy working in a high-level scripting environment. It combines native execution speed and concurrency with Ruby-like syntax. Create applications that have the beauty and elegance of a modern language, with the power of types and modern concurrency tooling. Write beautiful code that runs faster, scales better, and is a breeze to deploy.

Get the robust code, safety, and execution speed of a statically typed language, with high productivity. Make null pointer exceptions a thing of the past. Build and manage powerful applications with the Crystal tool chain. Harness the power of the macro system, and work with fibers and channels for easier concurrency. Access databases with the Kemal web framework, and tap the potential of existing Crystal libraries. Real-world examples demonstrate how Crystal fits in today’s software world.

Combine the high-level coding of dynamic languages and the safety and performance of a natively compiled language.

“One of the best introductions to programming with Crystal that I’ve read. Clear examples and excellent explanations make this a must-read for anyone looking to get started with Crystal.”

–Dary Merckens, CTO, Gunner Technology

• Full details: Search
  • View this book’s portal and details on how to post errata and suggestions here.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

3 Likes

Crystal is on my must-learn list so I’m hoping to get this book at some stage! If anyone’s read it I’d love to hear your thoughts :smiley:

1 Like