Planck vs Preonic vs Subatomic (Keyboards)

I ended up putting on some caps that I use while I wait for group buys of custom caps to be delivered. I have VileBloom on my Preonic and just some random G20 keycaps on my Planck that I got off http://pimpmykeyboard.com.

Neither are one of my favorite profile, I just have them because they were accessible while I wait for group buys.

2 Likes

I have to say that having limited rows not only really help me improve my typing but also allowed me to fully explore how useful layers can be. And even though I have a Moonlander now, I still use the layout that I used for my Atreus. I use the extra keys on the Moonlander for launching app, app shortcuts, system settings and macros. Plus this allows me to use the Atreus as the keyboard I use when commuting (to my living room :wink:).

2 Likes

Oo exciting! Which custom caps have you ordered Lee?

They look nice! Also on the same website these look stunning:

But in a video here, they look awful!

The reviewer hates them as well :rofl:

That’s good to know Law, I really can’t wait for my Planck to arrive now!

I am thinking about getting a Macropad for this as I’m under impression it will be important to be able to feel the end of the last row in getting your orientation etc (I mean for getting the Planck instead of the Preonic which has an additional row at the top). Do you think that makes sense?

2 Likes

My favorite profiles are MT3 and KAT. I would like SA but I really don’t like the ABS plastic feels when the fingertips get a little sweaty. It feels like super glue is on the finger tips. For MT3, I ordered Devtty (triumph) and for KAT I have Atlantis and Cyberspace coming.

I will likely pick up Space dust and possibly KAT Slurp. I’m a sucker for non-standard alphas since I use colemak and having standard lettering means nothing since my boards let me customize the entire keymap.

2 Likes

I really like the Dev/tty kit (shame there aren’t any Ortho kits left :cry:) I love the KAT Slurp one too! Wonder if we need a dedicated thread for it so we can use it for updates :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s sounds intriguing, with the Planck being so small you’ll have plenty of room for it.

Absolutely! I’m actually less accurate on the Moonlander when it comes to the top row and extra inner columns. It’s easier for me to orient myself on a smaller board.

I’ve actually been considering going back to the Atreus as a daily driver. But I prefer QMK and Oryx quite a bit to what Keyboardio has offer. I could put QMK on the Atreus though. Though perhaps there’s a Planck in my future as well :grin:

2 Likes

You might check Amazon. At least in the states Drop sales kits there as well. They’re stock in the U.S.

2 Likes

Whooo hooo! @svilen and I have received emails saying ours have been dispatched - can’t wait now! :smiley: Wonder if you’ll get yours a little earlier as you live in London?

I’m planning on putting it somewhere out of the way since I only really need it for audio controls and screen brightness, which while I don’t need too often, I sometimes need to use while (or just before) answering the phone single-handidly :laughing:

That’s interesting to hear as I suspected as much.

Buy the Planck Law you know you want to :rofl:

I am actually considering getting Drop’s Planck too, as I not 100% convinced by the plastic cases on ZSA’s Planck tbh - plus there are only two colours, where the white may potentially clash with cream coloured keycaps and the black may be too dark. I think when buying a MK aesthetics are often important to users.

I looked but they are out of stock too (same for Amazon in the UK) :cry:

1 Like

I’ve just had my UPS customs bill, so as a rough guide for those in the UK the total cost of this keyboard is:

Planck EZ Cost (UK)

£183.99 Keyboard
£5.42 (non-sterling transaction fee from the credit card company)
£34.61 Customs and shipping

£224.02

The exact amounts will vary on the exchange rate at the time and what exchange rate your credit card company actually uses.

Were your costs the same @svilen ?

Also since I had ordered (and then cancelled a Moonlander), here’s what I would have paid for that based on what’s on my credit card statement:

Moonlander Cost (UK)

£282.68 Keyboard
£8.33 (non-sterling transaction fee from the credit card company)
£47.50 Customs and shipping (estimated based on what UPS charged me for the Planck)

£338.51

2 Likes

Yes, I just paid the £34.61 customs charge. Hopefully will get it delivered next week!

3 Likes

I hope so too! Keep us updated if you hear anymore and I’ll do the same :nerd_face:

I keep looking at the Drop Planck too, as it has more configuration options on the space bar and the case looks more premium. I have a feeling I might like a configuration like his but with the space base on the right hand side:

I always use my right thumb for space and my natural resting position means my thumb hovers the bottom row in between the H+J… so I am guessing that will be my preferred position but I am staying completely open minded! (You can’t change the configuration on the ZSA’s Planck.)

If I do get a Planck from Drop I will just sell the one I don’t want to keep, and I think a head to head would prove useful for a lot of people - there aren’t really any comparisons for the ZSA Planck with the Drop Planck, at least not where people have had/lived with both.

1 Like

My delivery date is showing as Monday - I hope yours is the same (or earlier) @svilen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Delivered 9am in the morning:

:tada: :tada: :tada:

4 Likes

Whoo hooo! Mine’s here too - though I haven’t had a chance to open it yet. Can’t wait to test it tho! You used it yet @svilen? What are your initial thoughts?

2 Likes

It’s really nicely built, very happy with it! And light too, which is great.

In terms of usage… well, I’ll need some time to get used to the layout and format, I’m sure everyone is the same though. I even left the Enter key where it was, so I’m sticking to the default layout, I think it makes sense.

You should plug it in and star customising the firmware, it’s great fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah nice! I’ve just noticed there is a macOS update so I am going to start that then go and open the box :smiley: I will probably stick to their default layer to begin with as well, but I will definitely start tweaking it soon! I’l let you know how I get on :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t think I’m gonna get on with it :cry:

Maybe if I was a touch typist I might feel differently, or if I was someone who didn’t need to use graphics apps where you often need to do things like CMD & + (/-) or CMD + OPT + SHIFT + S etc. It’s only been a few hours though and I know I can create macros etc, but I just get the feeling it won’t be suitable for a number of different reasons.

Must say that it’s very brave of ZSA for focusing on products like these which are going to feel alien to a lot of people to begin with… good job it’s not easy returning them as they’d probably have a lot doing that.

The good thing is at least I am learning what I like and don’t like or what I think I might like, for instance I like this keyboard more when the back is raised (currently using my phone as a prop) and I think I would have been ok with an additional row as my fingers don’t have any issue extending beyond the top row.

I might try Colemak just to really punish myself :rofl:

How you getting on @svilen?

1 Like

It’s a challenge for sure, but it’s going alright for me. I’ve added macros for things that reqiure a few keypresses, for example |> when writing Elixir. Mouse control is also great.

I think you should customise your firmware and configure it to your workflow, then give it another day or two (it is frustrating for me too). You can browse the public layouts on the ErgoDox site for inspiration, maybe you’ll find something that will make life easier? This is my layout, I’m still working on it but it’s getting there:

https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/planck-ez/layouts/PMwXm/latest/

Actually for me the ortho layout is more difficult that the 40% format, I keep pressing ‘b’ instead of ‘v’, and ‘u’ rather than ‘i’ :laughing:

2 Likes

Looks good @svilen!

Do you know if there any easy way to get to and stick on dedicated layers? For example could I do something like press a key (say the far left Oryx key) then tap another key (say ‘A’) and it jumps to a specific custom layer (and stays there) and then on pressing escape it goes back to the base layer?

I can see that being handy for jumping to layers for specific apps, or to things like a numpad layer, etc.

I’ve had a quick mess about with layers Oryx: The ZSA Keyboard Configurator though as you can see, it’s not very touch typey, but more a way to access specific things. I’ve tried to use colours to indicate pairs/groups too - that’s definitely a bonus of this Planck!

I don’t think I really care too much about having an ortho board tbh (I think I actually quite like that my hands move around) so I think I’m more interested in the various layers, macros and shortcuts. Ideally these would be available from the base layer - which of course means a keyboard with more keys :man_facepalming: :laughing:

I’m still going to give it more of a go tho, but I’m finding it interesting how it’s helping me see what I may/may not like from a daily driver.

I think the same might be true for me! If the layers were easy to get to on a ‘normal’ layout I think that would definitely be more useful for me. I really dislike cramped keyboards, but it was worth trying this anyway - just to be sure (I’ll try it some more over the weekend so I’m not giving up on it already :blush:).

How was your day 2? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been curious for a 40% keyboard, mainly an ortholinear one. For those that are used to typing on them, how do you find switching between that keyboard and a normal (say a laptop keyboard)?

2 Likes