Planck vs Preonic vs Subatomic (Keyboards)

Ah nice one Law - that’s a great price on the Atreus! Thanks also for the additional info about the other configurator tools.

I am leaning towards to the Planck, as I think I would prefer the Subatomic over the Preonic and am guessing the Subatomic will be my second MK - I think I may be getting into a bit of a MKB problem too! :laughing:

I am also leaning towards the Planck EZ as it’s slightly lower and has RBG lights which I think may help with the transition.

I have also seen the keycaps I want - they are due for a group-buy this week but won’t be delivered until October next year!!! :rofl: They’re also going to be over $200!!! ($110 core kit $50 forties kit and $45 geometries kit- then there’s postage and tax), That’s really insane!! But I think they will look stunning. I will post a separate thread about them :nerd:

Are you going to order the Planck EZ soon? Have you thought about getting the version from Drop? Any thoughts on how they compare? (Is the Drop version really that much taller?)

2 Likes

Have just ordered a Planck EZ :see_no_evil:

White, RGB (Glow) with MX Browns (think I’ll prefer tactile switches on this keyboard).

I went for the EZ as I think the RGB lighting will help me get used to the layers (as I’ll set it to illuminate whichever keys are active on each layer). Once I’m used it, I would love to get either the Serika (v1) keycaps:

Or the MATT3O MT3 /DEV/TTY

From Drop. Btw, that’s on a Planck EZ^^ :nerd_face:

I do prefer the Serika keycaps… but I doubt they will be available again :cry:

3 Likes

I love the look of these sets. I also seen a lot of reviews that say they are very comfortable to use. I’ve been eyeing the /DEV/TTY set as well.

I’m resisting buying another keyboard for now. But I don’t know how long I can hold out :laughing:.

I’ve considered it, but I’m really happy with the quality of ZSA’s hardware and software. So for me that’s the biggest factor.

3 Likes

That’s why I went for the ZSA Planck too :blush:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think this might change your mind, imagine these on a Planck!

Edit: I’ll post this in a separate thread… done: BIIP MT3 Extended 2048 Custom Keycap Set (Drop) (let me know what you think @foxtrottwist!)

2 Likes

Ordered a Planck EZ today, fingers crossed we can get our hands on them soon @AstonJ :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Nice one Svilen!!

Will you be ordering a keycap set too? :upside_down_face:

These are hot off the press if you’re interested - currently available to pre-order via a group buy…

I wish the Serika 2 offered a Colevrak kit as well (even better if they brought back the MT3 Serika which is my absolute fave - it’s the one I posted here :orange_heart:).

We’ll have quite a few Planck owners here once you and I (and hopefully @foxtrottwist!) gets one! @Dusty, @hauleth and @dasdom already have one :laughing:

1 Like

I like the keycaps that come with the Planck EZ, but I might be tempted to change them one day. I went for the Glow version, and I like how the letters light up with the RGB LEDs underneath :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah they are pretty cool, and I think (hope) they should be really helpful while getting used to all the different layers.

Just don’t look at keyboard videos or photos or customised keyboards… it’s surprising how it sucks you in!

Although I must admit it’s not just about looks, different keycaps have different feel (to touch) and sound too. This is why I am tempted to get that GMK set as well so I can compare for myself then just sell the one I don’t want - that seems to be one good thing about such keycaps, you can usually sell them as they are often sold in restricted numbers.

Let me know when you get an email saying yours is in transit! Wonder who will get it first…

2 Likes

That’s great advice :laughing:

I already started playing with the Oryx configurator. The mouse control actions could be useful, and I just discovered the Auto Shift feature, which I can’t wait to try. There’s a lot you can do with that little keyboard!

2 Likes

What is the auto-shift feature? :see_no_evil: :rofl: I haven’t had a look at Oryx yet so hope to discover all that soon.

Will you be sticking to qwerty btw? Or trying a different layout?

1 Like

They have a video, which is also accessible in the Advanced Settings, watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1rj9ZSBggg

Nah, I’ll stick to qwerty. I’m quite comfortable with it, and I see no reason to change.

I’d definitely make one change in the layout though: swap the Enter key with the quotes key. I’m used to the Enter key being right underneath Backspace :laughing:

3 Likes

The prototype was posted in 2018 but zilch after that, so vapourware or not idk ¯_(ツ)_/¯

https://i.imgur.com/srKCqSr.jpg

3 Likes

Nice find :+1:

Looks neat, I’d use the top row for medal controls (audio controls, display brightness etc). Not sure what I’d use the two middle rows for - I need to look into what can be done with those dials!

2 Likes

What can you actually use them for?

Well, a rotary encoder twists clockwise and counter clockwise. It lends itself to actions that you’d otherwise need to repeatedly press a button for, and to actions that have both a forward and a reverse direction. For example:

• Audio control, to turn the volume up or down;
  • Scrolling, to scroll up or down a page or document with Page Up and Page Down;
  • Tabbing, to go to the previous or next browser tab with for example Control Tab and Control Shift Tab;
  • Window movement, to go to the previous or next window with Alt Tab and Alt Shift Tab;
  • History scrubbing, to perform undo and redo;
  • Scrolling horizontally by word, with Control Arrow Left and Control Arrow Right (if you hold down shift while turning the encoder, you can select words too!);
  • Scrolling through search results, with Find Next and Find Previous when you map the encoder actions to your text editor’s shortcuts.

Of course, you can program them to do anything. I’ve seen people program common text snippets so you can enter text with the simple turn of the encoder.

4 Likes

Ah thanks - that looks very cool!

No idea if this is real but…

:laughing:

Seriously tho, Dusty’s article (posted here) is worth a read, here’s an excerpt:

So here we are, on a layout that—no matter how you look at it—was not designed for the modern computer typist. Should we try to fix it? What would be some possible advantages? Here is a partial list:

• typing speed
  • avoiding repetitive strain (RSI)
  • ergonomics
  • typing comfort and enjoyment
  • efficient processes feel better than inefficient ones, even when the end result is the same—they improve our emotional well-being and quality of life

Haha… I’m sure your customisations won’t stop there :rofl:

Thanks Smithy!

I quite like the look of where one is place in the keyboard in this post. I wonder if PlanckEZ’s can make use of them actually…

2 Likes

I have both the Preonic and the Planck. Between the 2, I prefer the Preonic mostly because I didn’t want to access my numbers with a layer (that was just personal preference). I bought the Preonic with a polycarbonate case which was not available with the Planck. I would recommend a super quiet switch like Bobas U4s due to how load the plank case is: https://www.rgbkb.net/products/rgb-silent-tactile-switch

I’m more partial to split boards since I find them far more comfortable, so neither one of my one piece boards will be my daily drivers.

4 Likes

I almost went for the Preonic, but to use the top row for media controls (think I would prefer the numbers on a layer in traditional num-pad form) however I went for the Planck in the end as I got the feeling that having that additional row might get in the way of touch typing because by not having it you are forced to use just those 3 / 4 rows.

I also get the feeling that the Preonic may soon be replaced by the Subatomic, as Drop only has a few different case options now (not sure if that’s a good indication or not tho!).

Which keycaps have you got on these keyboards Lee? I will take a look at those switches too :smiley:

2 Likes

I ended up putting on some caps that I use while I wait for group buys of custom caps to be delivered. I have VileBloom on my Preonic and just some random G20 keycaps on my Planck that I got off http://pimpmykeyboard.com.

Neither are one of my favorite profile, I just have them because they were accessible while I wait for group buys.

2 Likes

I have to say that having limited rows not only really help me improve my typing but also allowed me to fully explore how useful layers can be. And even though I have a Moonlander now, I still use the layout that I used for my Atreus. I use the extra keys on the Moonlander for launching app, app shortcuts, system settings and macros. Plus this allows me to use the Atreus as the keyboard I use when commuting (to my living room :wink:).

2 Likes

Oo exciting! Which custom caps have you ordered Lee?

They look nice! Also on the same website these look stunning:

But in a video here, they look awful!

The reviewer hates them as well :rofl:

That’s good to know Law, I really can’t wait for my Planck to arrive now!

I am thinking about getting a Macropad for this as I’m under impression it will be important to be able to feel the end of the last row in getting your orientation etc (I mean for getting the Planck instead of the Preonic which has an additional row at the top). Do you think that makes sense?

2 Likes