People Staring At Computers

In 2011 I published a series of photos taken with the laptops in two New York City Apple Stores, as part of my ongoing exploration of surveillance, face analysis, and computer-mediated interaction. In response, Apple contacted the Secret Service and they raided my apartment. After censoring the work online, Apple did not pursue a civil case against me. And after a few months long investigation by the Secret Service, Assistant United States Attorney Judith Philips declined to prosecute me.

Ten years later, this work is still an important reference point for my art practice. I continue to work with faces and to reflect on privacy and surveillance in a new era dominated by machine learning.

In 2016 I filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to learn more about what happened behind the scenes in 2011…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

So many reasons to dislike apple and our current judicial system both…

2 Likes

Apple is crap. Got to know from their app store after trying to deploy the app. If you got any third party social sign in like Google then it’s mandatory to add Sign in with Apple also. And it’s full of bugs, pull requests open since 2019.

2 Likes