On the Complexity of JSON Serialization

I’m going to embrace ambiguity and use the term “serialization” to mean both actual serialization (producing a string from some data structure) and deserialization (producing a data structure from some string). The reason is that our terminology sucks, and we have no word that encompasses both. No, (de-)serialization is not a word. I think you’ll be able to work out which sense I’m using at any given point. You’re not a machine after all.

Here’s the thing: on every single software project or product I’ve worked on, JSON serialization has been a endless source of pain and bugs. It’s a push stream of trouble. Why is that so? What is so inherently complicated in the problem of JSON serialization that we always, by necessity, struggle with it?

It’s weird, because the JSON object model is really really simple. Moreover, it’s a bounded, finite set of problems, isn’t it? How do you serialize or deserialize JSON? Well, gee, you need to map between text and the various entities in the JSON object model. Specifically, you need to be able to handle the values null, true and false, you need to handle numbers, strings and whitespace (all of which are unambiguously defined), and you need to handle arrays and objects of values. That’s it. Once you’ve done that, you’re done. There are no more problems!

I mean, it’s probably an interesting engineering challenge to make that process fast, but that’s not something that should ever end up causing us woes. Someone else could solve that problem for us once and for all. People have solved problems much, much more complicated than that once and for all.

But I’m looking at the wrong problem of course. The real problem is something else, because “JSON serialization” as commonly practiced in software development today is much more than mere serializing and deserializing JSON!

This is actual JSON serialization…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1353685382114783236

Share link for this tweet.