New C# language features

Have you seen the new features that will be available in the upcoming C# 9 release?

C# is taking a lot of input from functional languages which makes it nicer to write and removes boilerplate code. I highly apreciate that as I’m developing in C# for my job, but my heart belongs to functional programming.

Which of these new things do you like most?

I like the progress they made with Pattern Matching and the addition of “data class” Records :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Portal created for it :+1:

Not sure about forum classification tho - backend?

1 Like

Not sure about this as well, with WPF C# is also frontend :wink:

2 Likes

What’s it used for mostly @Rainer?

1 Like

Well, I don’t have any usage statistics :wink:
Personally, I’m using it more for backend, but it’s multi purpose…
Maybe general C# backend, and frontend things would be more specific (Blazor, WPF, Razor)

2 Likes

Let’s use backend for now - we are going to update the ‘post a thread’ link with a dropdown to make things easier, so we can always add a ‘post in a different section’ option too :smiley:

1 Like

C# is a language used for everything from games (via the Unity game engine) to backend services to lots and lots of GUI programs to web work and more. It’s very C++'ish but with less optimizations and more GC, lol.

1 Like

Wonder if we need a new category to cater for languages like that? : /

1 Like

That would be a whole lot of languages! C# and F# to Java and Scala to C and C++ (most GUI programs, most backend programs, most of most things people use downloaded are C or C++) to even python and rust and ocaml and many many others… :-/