Moving a macOS window by clicking anywhere on it

Moving a macOS window by clicking anywhere on it (like on Linux).
Today I learned that since macOS High Sierra onwards you can move a window by starting to drag anywere on it.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Wonder why that isn’t default enabled… The lack of that capability when I have to use windows from my usual linux desktops drives me bonkers… >.>

1 Like

I’d guess it might be prone to erroneously being moved and lead to frustration? :lol:

1 Like

Well on linux you have to hold your move key, which by default is Alt, so hold alt, left click on window, and drag it somewhere, lol. It won’t move if you clicked on something that consumes the input event as well (like a button), so you can’t really accidentally move it anyway as you have to click on a part of the window that doesn’t consume input.

1 Like

I think that could be Apple’s reasoning why it’s not on by default - lack of consistency (which could lead to frustration)…

1 Like

That’s actually quite uniformly consistent. I haven’t seem a system yet that doesn’t use Alt for that by default (and barely seen anyone ever change the binding key).

2 Likes