Managing an External Display on Linux Shouldn’t Be This Hard

Managing an External Display on Linux Shouldn’t Be This Hard.
I first started using Linux and FreeBSD on laptops in the late 1990s. Back then, there were all sorts of hassles and problems, from hangs on suspend to pure failure to boot. I still worry a bit abo…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

This sort of thing is exactly why I switched from Linux to Mac in the early 2000s. (Of course it helped that OSX was so much better for dev work than any prior Mac OS, and had the same powerful shell I was used to.)

Now that Apple has been going down the “rich person’s showoff toy” route rather than the “great machine with a great OS” route of the “Jobs is back” days, and Linux has seriously upped its hardware support game, however, I may have to reconsider Linux.

2 Likes

All of that sounds pretty in-the-GUI-config for KDE. The latest KDE versions even restore programs to the screens they were on when that screen is reattached on the fly and more features too.

Both the Debian and Arch wikis note that KDE is buggy on Wayland

Yeah absolutely not, like back when wayland was new sure but back then KDE was the only one with really any support at all for wayland, it’s very solid now, probably the best integration of any DE on wayland so far. Also that’s interesting that that’s the only mention of KDE, where they tried DE’s that are all well known to have pretty crappy multi-monitor and hot-swapping monitor support (which makes me wonder why they focused on those…).

1 Like