Macs to use ARM-based processors

We all knew it was coming…

What do you think?

Apple has confirmed it will transition its Mac laptop and desktop computers to its own ARM-based processors.

The move means that Macs will run on the same type of chips as the firm’s iPhones and iPads, rather than Intel’s.

Intel had faced problems manufacturing its own designs, leading it to issue a public apology to computer-makers.

Apple’s challenge will be to carry off the transition smoothly and convince third-party developers to update their apps accordingly.

The firm said it had already developed native versions of several of its own apps, including Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. And iPhone and iPad apps will now be able to be run on the computers.

Apple said that Microsoft was working on an optimised version of Office, and Adobe a version of Photoshop.

Other developers should be able to recompile their apps to get a version running “in just a matter of days,” said the company’s software chief Craig Federighi. He added that old apps would automatically be translated at point of installation to run, although they would not work as well.

View livestream of WWDC here:

2 Likes

I think it’s a good thing. ARM64 is a pretty good chipset, not the best by far, but pretty good, and a far far cry better than x86-64 chips. Though it does mean that closed-source garbagesoftware will have to be recompiled at ‘best’, but probably require internal changes as well since most devs don’t keep architecture issues in mind when programming.

3 Likes

I believe this is also for cost reasons, even if for the long-haul (they could be spending a bit more initially). But probably the main motivation is power usage (modern ARM chips are definitely much more frugal than Intel / AMD desktop chips). And maybe cooling as well.

3 Likes

So does this mean we’ll see an iPad Pro that we can plug into a monitor and use as a Mac? Now that would be pretty cool!

1 Like

Unlikely. That would mean Apple would cannibalise their own market IMO.

Side note: I recently tried Sidecar – e.g. for using my iPad Pro as a secondary display of my Mac – and the experience was blurry and laggy. And the router is literally 2 meters behind me. Sigh.

3 Likes

I think that Apple is splitting its users into well defined groups:

• iPad + keyboard for casual users
  • MacBook (Air) for business user that needs a little bit more than iPad
  • iMac/MacBook Pro for “power users” (developers, photographers, graphic designers)
  • Mac Pro for agencies and other super power heavy users
2 Likes

It’s going to be difficult for them to justify not allowing a iPad Pro to run macOS, now that they clearly demonstrated the chip inside it can :laughing:

1 Like

I think you are underestimating how different the average iPad and MacBook users are. My mom learned iPhone (and iPad) in just a few short weeks and I know for a fact she’d be hopelessly lost on a Mac.

2 Likes

Different purposes and use cases. From what I see the iPadOS is becoming mix of macOS and iOS, so why would you run macOS on iPad? I really se no reason.

2 Likes

Sorry should have been clearer, I meant when ‘docked’ (so with a monitor, bluetooth keyboard and mouse). That’s essentially what we saw in their demo - the A12 chip inside a Mac Mini connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

However I’m sure it could be usable with some tweaks on a touch device too (with pop up keyboard etc) - if the hardware is the same… it’s just the interface that’s different/needs tweaking.

1 Like

But you can have all that with iPadOS. You can connect the mouse and keyboard (even they sell such cover with keyboard and touchpad). I do not see the reason to expand it much further as it would just complicate the OS and UI.

3 Likes

You can’t use your Mac programs on iPadOS tho.

What I want is a device like an iPad Pro that I can use like an iPad when on the go and when I want to, and with the option of using my Mac programs too on the go too, but perhaps more importantly, one that when docked becomes a fully fledged Mac. That is the future of computers imo, for the foreseeable future anyway - one device.

1 Like

With Catalyst there will probably be less and less “Mac programs” that you can’t use on iPadOS.

Ubuntu tried that, Microsoft tried that, many tried that. So far with no success. For me it is better to have separate devices and provide first-class synchronisation like Apple is trying to do via iCloud rather than trying to make one device to catch’em all.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s a nice dream but so far it hasn’t been achievable.

3 Likes

I still think KDE5 has the best Phone/Tablet/Desktop changeable interface out. ^.^

1 Like