macOS Big Sur

Anyone going to be upgrading anytime soon? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

My personal machine has been running the beta for months now. So as soon as I have the opportunity I will update.

My laptop provided by my employer is a no go for at least a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

I heard that some people have performance issues after the update… I don’t think that would be the case for my new iMac tho… But it is still scary to update :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Has it been ok for dev?

This seems to have been a particularly painful update. I would wait until the next release or the one after that. When it appears I think I will update my Mac and then reformat it and do a clean install - because I want to see what it’s like speed and feel wise on a ‘fresh’ machine :smiley:

Probably going to wait until the next release, with many of the bugs shaken out.

2 Likes

I want them to fix this (or at least where Little Snitch can operate as normal) before I want to upgrade, Dave:

But I must admit I am tempted… the allure of shiny new macOS is often too strong to resist :man_facepalming:t2: :rofl:

For most things it was fine. I had some issues installing Erlang via asdf. I wasn’t sure if that was due to running the beta. But when trying to install via Homebrew, there was a warning about Big Sur not being supported and that I would have build failures.

That being said Erlang and Elixir seem to run just fine :man_shrugging:

It’s not my main dev machine. I could have avoided issues due to not using it as heavily.

1 Like

I’ve always preferred to do a clean install, less cruft and the system is usually faster. I will also probably use an external SSD to try Big Sur first, if I’m satisfied I will install it on the internal SSD. Using an external SSD to test a new release is straightforward with macOS.

1 Like

Screwing up my dev env would be a pain, especially this time of year when I have a lot on. Glad yours is working ok but I might hold off till the new year :blush:

I’ve never thought of doing that! I have a few external SSDs so might try that, haha - thanks for the idea Paul!

For major versions what I usually do is backup (to be on the safe side) > upgrade - and if everything is working fine for a few days I then do a clean install as per my notes here.

How does your clean install method differ to mine Paul? Presumably after a clean install you dont’t do a migration afterwards, but copy everything over and reinstall programs etc? (Here’s how I do mine: How to do a clean macOS install – without Migration Assistant!)

I just updated. I see no performance increase/decrease… everything feels pretty much the same.

1 Like

Exactly, this also gives me the opportunity to select which programs I really need.

1 Like

That’s good to know Mikhail! :smiley:

Do you use SMTP/POP email? If so what is your strategy to get that copied over? Also how do you manage with keychains/passwords without using iCloud? Apple have made it stupidly difficult to copy these over without handing them over to their servers first!!


This is a good comparison:

See, what did I said in the thread you linked :wink:

1 Like

After watching this… :see_no_evil:

I’m loving the design, sounds, and even desktop wallpapers are stunning :heart_eyes: there’s way more changes here than I first thought, and pretty much everything I’ve seen in this video I like. I think I might be upgrading sooner than I thought tbh.

What the heck am I doing :robot: :joy:

Hope I don’t regret it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You are doing as I told you the majority do… they always put Security and Privacy to the curb in exchange for convenience and other things, that I don’t want to go into here.

Just read this tweet:

1 Like

Well I am going to go back to Catalina! They’ve messed up font smoothing/anti-aliasing - the system font is too thin now and looks washed out. The UI feels slow on things like going in to Mission Control too and while both of these things have happened in previous releases and they’ve fixed it, along with the security concerns I think I’ll just wait until they sort it all out.

I might do a fresh install of Big Sur first, just to check - but otherwise might just wait until a few releases further down the line. Only thing is I noticed there was a Catalina update waiting as well as the Big Sur update, so my backup will be for the Catalina version prior to the latest one - which might mess the migration up. I’ll be annoyed if it does!!

Don’t kill me… but I have just reformatted my machine and put Big Sur on it… and I think I’m gonna keep it - it just looks so good :see_no_evil: The clean install seems to have sorted the slight performance issue I had as well.

I would have kept trustd active on Catalina anyway because blocking it impacted things like slowing requests to rubular.com. I do however intend to file a bug report, and possibly make a SARS request to Apple, asking what info they hold and collect about me - I’m sure plenty of security researchers have done this already tho? Wonder what they found?

2 Likes

I am not a murder :wink:

This only confirms what I told you several times.

Reputable brands can do whatever they want, that in the end they will always get away with it.

If it was not a reputable brand, they would be crucified and have a huge negative financial impact, but once they have the status they have, people will always forgive and ignore whatever risks they present or flaws they may have. As I said to you, in more then 3 decades as a salesman I have seen this happening in cars, computers, mobile, etc.

And you are a living proof of that…