Learn to Program, Third Edition (PragProg)

It's easier to learn how to program a computer than it has ever been before. Now everyone can learn to write programs for themselves—no previous experience is necessary. Chris Pine takes a thorough, but lighthearted approach that teaches you the fundamentals of computer programming, with a minimum of fuss or bother. Whether you are interested in a new hobby or a new career, this book is your doorway into the world of programming.

Chris Pine @chrispine

edited by Tammy Coron @Paradox927

It’s easier to learn how to program a computer than it has ever been before. Now everyone can learn to write programs for themselves—no previous experience is necessary. Chris Pine takes a thorough, but lighthearted approach that teaches you the fundamentals of computer programming, with a minimum of fuss or bother. Whether you are interested in a new hobby or a new career, this book is your doorway into the world of programming.

Computers are everywhere, and being able to program them is more important than it has ever been. But since most books on programming are written for other programmers, it can be hard to break in.

At least it used to be. Chris Pine will teach you how to program. You’ll learn to use your computer better, to get it to do what you want it to do. Starting with small, simple one-line programs to calculate your age in seconds, you’ll see how to write interactive programs, to use APIs to fetch live data from the internet, to rename your photos from your digital camera, and more. You’ll learn the same technology used to drive modern dynamic websites and large, professional applications.

Whether you are looking for a fun new hobby or are interested in entering the tech world as a professional, this book gives you a solid foundation in programming. Chris teaches the basics, but also shows you how to think like a programmer. You’ll learn through tons of examples, and through programming challenges throughout the book. When you finish, you’ll know how and where to learn more—you’ll be on your way.

Chris Pine has been teaching folks to program for over 15 years. He began his career making video games and other high performance software, before discovering his true calling: helping others learn and grow as programmers. Chris has been managing teams of amazing software engineers ever since.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1346247048669048839

Share link for this tweet.

Related portal:

1 Like

Hey! I’d love to hear what y’all think of it! I’m especially excited about the new chapter on APIs.

2 Likes

This is a great book, I have the first edition and I plan to buy 2nd ed too as a gift for a friend that wants to start his programming journey.

2 Likes

Congratulations to Chris @chrispine who managed to write this new third edition of Learn to Program #book-learn-to-program-2nd-edition during what will probably be the craziest year of the 20s, if not this century. It takes dedication and perseverance to write a book at any time. It takes a superhero to do it in the middle of a pandemic and all the other stressors of 2020!

2 Likes

Congrats @chrispine!

Rather than repeat myself, here’s what I posted about this book in the previous version’s thread:

For anyone on the fence just get this book - I’m sure you won’t regret it!

1 Like

Thank you for thisl!!!