Lapce – Lightning-fast and Powerful Code Editor

A modern open source code editor in Rust

Native GUI and Rust powered performance, we as developers know what you need for an essential tool like a code editor. Write code with joy in Lapce.

Lightning fast

Native GUI with GPU acceleration in Rust, no more waiting on launching the editor, and any lag on your keystroke will be treated as a bug and get fixed.

Remote Development

You can connect to a remote machine seamlessly, with a “local” experience, benefiting from a identical environment with your production server, or utilizing the full performance of the remote machine.

Batteries included

Code syntax highlighting using Tree-sitter, much faster and better than regex based highlighting. Also with built in LSP support, to give you code intelligence like code completion, diagnostics and code actions etc.

Vim like modal editing

Vim users, we’ve got you covered! Built in support for a Vim like editing experience, without a plugin.

WASI plugin system

You can write a plugin for Lapce with any programing language that complies to WASI. Choose a familiar language for writing a plugin without learning a new language.

Built in Terminal

Start a terminal at the path of your workspace, without leaving Lapce.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I keep intending to try this one, has anyone done so yet? How were your experiences?

3 Likes

Downloaded it but not keen on why it wants to connect to the internet on startup (the Lapce site and gh) and doesn’t seem to have an option to switch it off : /

4 Likes

I opened it on Mac. It does feel very snappy, basically a VS Code in Rust, but I don’t think it’s ready yet for actual use. For example I couldn’t see how to load language servers or turn on syntax highlighting and the only plugin I saw was for Rust. Not saying those things aren’t there, and maybe they’d be more obvious if you opened a Rust project (I tried with a fairly typical Phoenix project). If the developer keeps with it maybe it could be excellent. The site he has up might be a bit inspirational vs descriptive of actual capabilities at this point?

4 Likes

It’s plugin based, connects to do update checks for itself and those.

Oh definitely not, the authors say it is still very early in its life, it’s far far before pre-alpha, lol.

4 Likes

It is basically one authors hobby project, a couple of others have made the odd commit (not to downplay the value of making open source contributions) but there are 7 contributors on this repo, ranging from 1-711 commits… only one of those has made more than 2 commits. It is fairly early stages of an ambitious project, for me it isn’t usable on a day to day basis and it probably isn’t what I’m looking for anyway, it is a however really impressive effort this person has put in and does have a lot of cool ideas. I’m super jealous of people who have the focus of mind to really take on these kinds of hobby projects.

5 Likes

I know it’s not finished, but I’m really looking forward for the project to be “completed”. I’ve been keeping an eye on xi-editor and this editor uses the same rope-science approach.

Though for now it’s not even opening any files or folders on Manjaro.

2 Likes

It looks like VSCode and already has M1 support.

1 Like

Hmm, let’s finally give it a try…

Cloning, building, running, aaand it’s just a white window… Nothing printed to its stdout/stderr… Closes properly at least, lol.

3 Likes