Language Core Teams - how big are they and does it matter?

Just wondering about this - generally how big are the core teams of programming languages?

Do larger teams progress more quickly than smaller teams?

Are there notable differences between languages with big/small teams?

Do you have a preference even - are you swayed by the size of a team? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I think the team size itā€™s not so much importantā€¦ IMHO, the biggest and important thing its who much diversity not only in technical skills the team should be applying new cool features and handle the best way the real-world problems.

Automate such route things like mix and hex handle perfectly and use the language for programmers to use and do their jobs more fun and enjoyable.

The community born around the language needs to be inclusive no hostile, this another thing, and this always starts with a team, more people could come to language to doing contributes tough.

My principal language is Ruby and is the biggest of my new language I would like to use in the feature, by the way, is the Elixir. And they both are a good language ecosystem and community too as well, and if you analyze the javascript ecosystem and you definitely could see so much hostile environment most people stop to contribute and create their solutions, the biggest deal its create youā€™re transpile for Javascript, e.g Typescript, Elm, ReasonML and other and other and other, and you stop and see the big picture your community are so fragmented and the initial propose about the language does more matter.

And another example is kernel Linux is such a hostile OSS project and we see many people stop contributing because of the many dump garbage words their receive from Linus.

2 Likes

I donā€™t idolize Linus but the added context here is that the Linux kernel is a very sensitive project in many regards (donā€™t break user code, prioritize performance, try and do a good job security-wise etc.) and thereā€™s a steep learning curve before participating. Linus is kind of right part of the time when he gets angry at people who never bothered to learn the basics on how to participate.

I mean, thatā€™s like going to a job interview at NASA without having interest in physics and astronomy.

So again, the guy can be a douche but I feel such a gatekeeper is needed for a high-profile project like the Linux kernel.

3 Likes

Gate-keeping is fineā€¦ but it doesnā€™t hurt to be polite :blush: I have a policy for being nice, tolerant and understanding to all but those who are not nice, intolerant or malicious.

Making concessions is good as well. Someoneā€™s personal circumstances can provide context. Someone brought up in a modern country today, will more likely to be progressive than someone brought up in a developing country 50 years ago. In the same vein, a noob may not be as au fait with things as someone whoā€™s been doing it or been around for a while.

Thatā€™s just the ideal tho, at least imo - everyoneā€™s different and we all slip up from time to time.

3 Likes

I might be heavily projecting and letā€™s have that context for my comment here, but I feel that many people mistake ā€œbeing politeā€ with ā€œoh, so I didnā€™t do anything wrong and what I am doing is rightā€. The human brain seems to work best with extreme positive and extreme negative stimuli ā€“ at least I have found so for many people throughout most of my life. So when you yell at somebody they kind of ā€œstand to attentionā€ and actually start toā€¦ you know, pay attention.

I suppose the guy just got tired answering the same questions for decades ā€“ or having to correct the same mistakes for decades.

Again, I am not idolizing him at all. But I can still see whereā€™s coming from even if he arguably doesnā€™t pick the socially most widely accepted approach (IMO however thereā€™s nothing wrong with his approach; people really need to extract the actual criticism in somebodyā€™s very harmless online outburst and only act on the said actual criticism).

1 Like

I think what @dimitarvp said is correct, matches my experiences as well.