iPad Pro as a main working device?

I pondered it several times but the release of the M1 MacBook Airs really made this point moot for me.

2 Likes

M1s are really expensive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And iPad Pros aren’t? :smiley:

4 Likes

The basic models aren’t too bad… but if you want half-decent specs you are probably going to need to add at least 50% to your budget!

At least with the Mac Mini you can swap out the HD and upgrade memory (at least afaik - is that still possible with M1 minis?)

MBA’s are probably more than enough for dev stuff mind - I loved my 11" MBA! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am seriously pondering buying a maxed out M1 MacBook Air – 512GB SSD with 16GB RAM and 8 GPU cores – and hold on to it until it falls apart. :smiley:

It adds up to about 1900 EUR. I’ll very likely buy it though, it’s a solid investment that will pay many times over.

2 Likes

Just 512GB SSD? I’d say go for at last 1TB?

2TB SSD + 16GB Ram M1 MBA is £2,049 here…

1 Like

Well I don’t know but I don’t plan to make that machine the center of my digital life. It’s something to use on the bed or when I’m on the move (which I almost never am btw).

Haven’t decided yet though.

2 Likes

I would definitely get at least 1TB then Dimi :smiley:

If it’s anything like what my 11" MBA was… then I think you’ll love it! I just to take it to bed with me every night as it was just so portable and light. The MBP I’ve got while better than previous gens, is still pretty hefty so I’ll only take it to bed now if I really need to finish something (but that’s probably not a bad thing as we need a break from these devices too!! :joy: )

1 Like

That’s what I got earlier this year, and I’m happy with it. I do move around a lot so the light weight and extended battery life are important attributes.

I also appreciate the Apple ecosystem perks: unlocking the laptop(s) with my Watch, using AirDrop between systems, the fingerprint reader integration – not individually huge but definitely useful.

2 Likes

I am still on a Win7 x86 desktop machine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New MBAs coming out this year apparently:

The new MacBook Air would likely feature a faster iteration of Apple’s custom M1 chip for ultra-fast performance in a lightweight design. The current base model MacBook Air with the M1 chip already outperforms a maxed-out Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro in benchmarks.

source: Top Stories: iPhone 14 With In-Screen Touch ID, iOS 15 Beta 2, Apple Warns Leakers, and More - MacRumors

If they allow up to 32GB of RAM I might consider one to replace my 16" MBP…

1 Like

That’s a bit of a marketing talk IMO and doesn’t say anything of consequence. The only thing that’s a bit more concrete that I’ve read was that the next M1 will have a better GPU performance and the CPU is going to remain unchanged. But we’ll see.

In any case, I am not in a hurry so maybe waiting for the second wave is the smart choice.

2 Likes

I am personally expecting to see a M1 speed-bump as it seems to be what they do with all their A-chips… but like you said, 2nd gen has to be better, right!? :smiley:

1 Like

Realistically I don’t expect the 2nd gen to be faster. I expect them to fix problems – if they had uncovered such with cooling, components sitting at each other interfering (like many iPad Pros: when Bluetooth is on, your WiFi will occasionally stutter _hard) or any build / motherboard problems in general.

But as I said, not in a rush anyway.

1 Like

I think we need a 2nd Gen M-chip Predications & Expectations Thread Dimi :joy:

1 Like

A few weeks ago my new iPad M1 arrived, but I watched a few videos on YouTube compares doing tasks in both MacBook and iPad, and it seems pretty clear the iPad is a good device, but Apple put a limitation on it.

It was possible to use your iPad with a few limitations, and you need to use a remote machine to do your hard work.

And I had a good experience with Apple Pencil 2 gen.

I decide to use my iPad as a complement to manage my study, take my notes, manage my agenda and many other things. It is a better fit to use the iPad with the pencil.

2 Likes

for us in Brazil it very close to 30k BRL

2 Likes

For I can tell and following a bunch of rumors, the 2nd xM’s version will put more cores because getting grow with memory ram is thought though, and we will continue seeing with maximum 16GB ram.

2 Likes

That’s be interesting Herminio - more cores sounds pretty cool to me! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Anyone else disappointed that the M1 iPad Pro can’t run macOS?