Introduction to Postgrest

Part 1: Introduction to Postgrest.
In Codd, we trust In the field of Computer Science and Engineering, few things come close to the durability and ubiquity of SQL.
As web or mobile developers, there’s usually a RESTful API backend that serves JSON responses over HTTP. More often than not, there’s a SQL DB used in these REST API services. However if we look closely, we find that the business logic is in Java/Kotlin/Python layer, whereas the DB is usually just a data store.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.

1 Like

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I really dislike any database that exposes itself to the web as an easy to consume API…

Why?

Because it will be very easy to make mistakes and leave it open to the world.

An attacker can exploit it directly without the need to go through the traditional backend, that sits between the web and the database on a private network.

2 Likes

Did anyone in this forum use PostgREST already? If yes, how did you use it, and how was your experience? Did you use it alone, or together with some other technology?

2 Likes

I remember a few years ago we had to create an application really fast to hit the market at right time due to some new laws …

The only person in our team who wasn’t busy at the time was the DBA. I joked about doing it with Postgrest xD
And they came to the conclusion that was good idea. ^^’
The application was pretty much a bunch of CRUDs. And he was able to make it really fast.

However, when the company was about to release it, the gov decided to postpone that law, and then change it.

In the end the app was never released and we were never able to see if postgrest would be able to fit the needs :~

3 Likes

Postgrest was a good try to implement a REST pattern.
It shifts the work to implement an efficient Auth Server.

2 Likes