Humans Could Live up to 150 Years, New Research Suggests

The chorus of the theme song for the movie Fame, performed by actress Irene Cara, includes the line “I’m gonna live forever.” Cara was, of course, singing about the posthumous longevity that fame can confer. But a literal expression of this hubris resonates in some corners of the world—especially in the technology industry. In Silicon Valley, immortality is sometimes elevated to the status of a corporeal goal. Plenty of big names in big tech have sunk funding into ventures to solve the problem of deathas if it were just an upgrade to your smartphone’s operating system.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I really don’t want to live that long :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really? Why not?

I always feel sad when people say they don’t want to live longer - and it’s usually the nice people who acknowledge all the injustice, inequality and hurt in the world… we need more people like that in the world not less :blush:

2 Likes

Oh I’d love to go to 150, especially if it was in decent health. If I were decrepit and frail and especially senile in a nursing home, maybe I’d pass on the 60 years of bingo nights. But if I were in any kind of decent health and most crucially still had my mind, then sure, I’d love to go on that journey. There are extremely interesting questions involved, like what changes happen to the rest of one’s life if you believe you have that much time ahead? What is the psychology of a 140-year-old? If such changes became standard, would there be a blossoming of wisdom? An aged army of rear-guard curmudgeons?

5 Likes

Good if having good health. Bad if that law of that country do not allow people to choose to go away at very high age and having deadly un-treatable diseases.

4 Likes

I want to live as long as possible, load my brain up in a VM and let it be in perpetuity! I want to see how humankind advances and grows over the ages of the Universe. ^.^

3 Likes

I just think that living that long, one will already be frail even with good health. Just my thought. :slight_smile: But if the world was a much better place, then living longer would be great.

2 Likes

Haven’t watched it yet, but features David Sinclair:

Imagine where we’ll be one thousand years from now…

1 Like

I think it’s cool, but I don’t really want to get sick with Parkinson’s or other age-related diseases in my old age. It is better then to live a smaller but healthy life.

2 Likes