HTTP/3: Everything you need to know about the next-generation web protocol

Security researchers have only just gotten their teeth into HTTP/2, but the movers and shakers of the web are already spinning out an update: HTTP/3.

The technology offers performance gains and security benefits, but only if we get over the many deployment issues that lie ahead for what one expert tells us is best considered as an evolutionary rather than revolutionary change to how the web works.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

I really like the QUIC protocol. It’s multiple reliable channels and built-in security is awesome. We can still do ‘unreliable’ channels via normal UDP (though I wish we could have unreliable channels in QUIC so we wouldn’t have to manage a secondary set of encryption). What I wish it had were an unordered channel, where you could send small packets that would be guaranteed to be received but the order doesn’t matter, rather just as fast as possible is what matters and for them to ‘eventually’ arrive, it especially could keep the held memory open for the buffered data smaller as well as the increased speed.

1 Like

quic is definitely great. however, HTTP2 has spent more than 10 years to be widely adopted by client side. I am not sure when HTTP3 would be widely used by browsers.

2 Likes

It already is in Chrome (and similar ones like MS Edge) and Firefox (and google says that even Safari, the IE of the modern times, supports http3 too), unsure about that rest, but those encompass the vast vast amount of browsers out by a monstrously huge degree.

1 Like