How was your initial experience with Elixir?

I love how elixir works and some of its perks, but I’m still pretty uncomfortable, especially when mix/hex gets involved.

Did anyone else experience that in the beginning? Just want to make sure that I’m not taking a step in the “wrong direction” :joy:

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1351633540111364100

Share link for this tweet.

Related portal:

This is not a bad thing - getting out of your comfort zone is really good :smiley:

I can remember a tweet I posted, along the lines of “Currently reading PragDave’s Programming Elixir - and it’s stretching the grey matter… but I like it!” and then I quickly deleted it as I did not want to flood Dave’s feed, however he must of got an email notification and tweeted it as a quote! I’m mentioning this because if you’re not from a functional programming language it will feel a little alien at first - stick with it! Even if you don’t end up using it it will make you a better programmer nonetheless.

Also it’s with mentioning that think Elixir is definitely one of the more accessible functional programming languages - perhaps in part because José (its creator) was a Rubyist, and things like accessibility, programmer happiness and an intuitive feel are part of its core - many of these have found their way into Elixir too.

2 Likes

Yeah, I totally understand :stuck_out_tongue:

This was my experience with other languages too, but Elixir felt different :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Keep at it Mr GD :smiley:

Better still, why not document your experience in a #community:journals thread? :blush:

1 Like