How to Calculate the Energy Consumption of a Mac

I’m a bit of a sustainability nerd. I love the idea of living a life where your carbon footprint is neutral (or negative) and you leave the world a better place than it was before you got here.

While it’s clear that there’s only so much impact an individual can have on carbon emissions, I like the idea of working to minimize my personal carbon footprint. This is a big part of the reason why I live in a home with solar power, drive an electric vehicle, and try to avoid single-use plastics as much as possible.

During a recent impact-focused hackathon at work (come work with me!), I found myself working on an interesting sustainability project. Our team’s idea was simple: because almost all Snyk employees work remotely using a Mac laptop, could we measure the energy consumption of every employee’s Mac laptop to better understand how much energy it takes to power employee devices, as well as the amount of carbon work devices produce?

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.