How I Taught the D Programming Language at a Russian University

A new D blog post/announcement has been posted!

Get the full details here: How I Taught the D Programming Language at a Russian University | The D Blog

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I like a few things from the article:

• This is the story about how ā€¦ and how students sometimes surpass their teachers.

• In my first months of university, I entertained the thought of being a school teacher. Now I realize that this was just a call for justice of sorts. There is a stark difference between a high school and a university, and for me, the latter was a much better experience. It felt like in just one month at university I learned more than in one term in high school, and that was so cool. Why couldnā€™t they explain it this way back in high school , was my common thought. If only educators applied the same educational methods in a regular school, it would make the experience much better. My desire to become a teacher vanished the second I received my first paycheck as a programmer (in Russia, ā€˜programmerā€™ is a very well-paid job and ā€˜school teacherā€™ is the total opposite), but some memory of that desire remained.

• This was also the time when I became interested in D. Compared to C++ it looked like a perfect programming language. You can write code that would be as fast, but without all those C atavisms. I used D for my masterā€™s thesis, and I loved it. My program was twice as small and simple as the older C++ version while performing better. Implementing complex and more efficient algorithms in D was much easier; doing the same in C++ would be too much work, and, like any student, I always struggled with my deadlines

• In 2018, an unusual offer surfaced on the D mailing list: ā€¦

• I didnā€™t see myself as a full-fledged lecturer and expected to be just an assistant. At the beginning that was the plan, with someone else acting as a lecturer. He was going to give lectures remotely via Skype, and I would assist him on site.

• To my surprise, the university in question was

• I checked their program: D was introduced for third-term students, and during the first two terms they learned C, C++, Prolog, and even some Lisp, I think (a bit too much, but why not). Their math course was solid, too (yes, I am among those who think that math is important for programmers).

• We started working on the course program, although I barely included myself in that ā€œweā€. That was a mistake. With one month left until the classes started, the lecturer was suddenly leaving us. The news took me by surprise, butā€¦ there was still plenty of time, right?

• Everything was saying that there would be no help and that I had to do the whole course by myself, but my impression was hard to shake. The grave realization only came one week before Day One. Only then did I start to prepare for real.

• This is supposed to be the part about the trials and tribulations of the endless bureaucracy awaiting a poor programmerā€™s soul.

• Things like the principles of import are easier to grok when using a command-line compiler rather than some ā€œintuitive interfaceā€.

• Lifted by the success of the first seminar, I was slammed to the ground by the first lecture. It contained the full theoretical explanation of type systems and their various types, compared D with other languages, brought out the problems of C and C++, and demonstrated what makes D different. It was a total failure.

• But the problem was with the lecture itself. First, it was too much for one class. Second, the lecture was based on the talks I did for my job that were intended for seasoned programmers. I realized that everything that Iā€™d prepared for my future lectures must be tossed aside and rewritten from scratch.

• https://youtu.be/-ruC5A9EzzE

• I had several reasons to think that this was a well-fitting problem. First, I could write a solution I expected to see from the students in five hours or two evenings. Compensating for the studentsā€™ level, it looked like a good project for a semester-long assignment. Second, the solution isnā€™t too straightforward. Simple brute force would take too much time so you need to cut off the equal variants in the beginning. And third, I was fascinated by this problem myself, so I thought the students would feel the same. I couldnā€™t be more wrong.

• Thatā€™s how in just one year you become an old geezer teacher who canā€™t keep up with the times.

• The chemistry of a group coding session with a teacher ready to help wonā€™t kick in.

• Bad students will skip classes anyway, but lazy B-graders could benefit from a little scolding.

And there were moments when I raised some questions:

• Secondly, a broader outlook makes for better code. My familiarity with D improved my C++ skills and made it much easier to learn Python, especially its iterators. Most importantly, D is the futureā€”of C++ and beyond.

• Is it really? I donā€™t know myself as I havenā€™t touched both D nor C++.
    • I suspect the author means that some of the concepts from D will be transferred to C++.

There is a challenge that Iā€™d like to love myself, but with a different language. I donā€™t know how to point to the exact spot in the document. But follow the link and search for:
s = Multiline string, each line containing

To the surprise of the teacher each years students solve this problem differently and may find a better solution.

Itā€™s also really interesting to see the translation. I havenā€™t read tho original one yet.

3 Likes

I do think D could have had a chance of upsetting or perhaps even replacing a lot of C++ usage except it had a couple major downsides in the past that stopped it (less so nowadays):

• Optional Garbage Collector, and being optional means that itā€™s not optional, as if itā€™s used anywhere then you are infected and the whole program scanning starts.
  • Two major standard libraries, one leaned more heavily on the GC than the other (which was mostly or all GC free?). Nowdays one has already won out but itā€™s waaaay late for that.

The first is a MAJOR issue for C++ devs, the second was a complete failure as a usability requirement.

One big thing from the article:

C++11/17/20 novelties were first battle-tested in D

Ehhh, no, not really at all, rather they were "battle-testedā€™ in Boost for long long before D, in some cases for long before D ever existed.

And now Rust has better safety and reliability, even if not as many features, but those are things that exceedingly appeal to C++ devs, so I canā€™t really see D getting popular, much as an enjoyable language that it is, it missed its chance to shine due to those two big issues above in its past.

4 Likes

Yeah, there is a huge class of techies that sincerely believe having several options for certain big and important needs (and thus libraries) is desirable. Thatā€™s one of the things that is still putting me off in OCaml btw.

At one point core contributors and community should converge and start agreeing on whatā€™s the go-to way even if it lacks in one way or another ā€“ there are sub-libraries springing up that deal with some perceived or real deficiencies in the bigger / std library and all is right in the world.

I donā€™t know why the above is such a mind-blowing revelation for so many programmers. Maybe some misguided notion of ā€œcompeting librariesā€ or ā€œdemocracyā€ or ā€œchoiceā€ or whatever. But writing code for money is not a political statement; itā€™s a job. Way too many people lack the ability to discern between the two, somehow.

3 Likes

D is a solid language that I never used but I liked what Iā€™ve seen in a few tutorials and one video.

That being said, it might be a bit late to displace C++ now. Rust is gaining steam slowly but surely and is practically inevitable at this point, and for everything even further below there is Zig that is also improving steadily and stably.

3 Likes

No such put off with OCaml. Jane Streetā€™s Core is an extension of the standard library, full interoperatbility.

However those ā€˜optionsā€™ in D were bad because, well obviously a GC, and it entirely split the ecosystems.

Not even that slowly, itā€™s significantly larger than D has ever been even now and itā€™s showing no signs of slowing down yet.

3 Likes