How Apple's locked down security gives extra protection to the best hackers

Virtually every expert agrees that the locked-down nature of iOS has solved some fundamental security problems, and that with these restrictions in place, the iPhone succeeds spectacularly in keeping almost all the usual bad guys out. But when the most advanced hackers do succeed in breaking in, something strange happens: Apple’s extraordinary defenses end up protecting the attackers themselves.

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

“This means that even to know you’re under attack, you may have to rely on luck or vague suspicion rather than clear evidence. The Al Jazeera journalist Tamer Almisshal contacted Citizen Lab after he received death threats about his work in January 2020, but Marczak’s team initially found no direct evidence of hacking on his iPhone. They persevered by looking indirectly at the phone’s internet traffic to see who it was whispering to, until finally, in July last year, researchers saw the phone pinging servers belonging to NSO. It was strong evidence pointing toward a hack using the Israeli company’s software, but it didn’t expose the hack itself.”

Apple should have carried on making wifi routers and kept hardening them…routers and isps are the best defences in discovering hacked devices by anaylysing traffic

4 Likes

But wifi routers is for when you are at home or in any physical space you have control off, or did I miss something?

At home I just use:

And the sites I visit even load faster :slight_smile:

3 Likes