Hands-on rust: warning when running with brackets_lib (chapter 3)

Hi,

First of all, sorry for not providing a pagenumber, but I don’t know it, since I’m reading the book on Medium.

To my problem: I have been mainly using the debian dev environment on my Chrombook for the rust code in the book, And everything worked up till now, However, when I tried running this code: http://media.pragprog.com/titles/hwrust/code/FirstGameFlappyAscii/hello_bterm/src/main.rs I ran into a problem.

First I get this error: xkbcommon: ERROR: Key “” added to modifier map for multiple modifiers; Using Mod3, ignoring Lock
After that, the terminal window does open with the correct text rendered, but the title is not visible.

I cloned the exact same code in Windows 10 and there it works perfectly. It didn’t work in WSL2 at all, but I think that’s because I don’t have a X1 server installed.

Had anyone here made bracket_lib work on a Chromebook Crostini, and if so, how?

TIA

That sounds a lot like a Linux update is disagreeing with the winit crate (Bracket-lib uses it to handle windowing). I typically test on a mint, Windows and Mac setup - so that sounds like a pretty recent breakage. There was a very similar issue when the last OS X came out.

One thing to try:
Run cargo clean ; cargo update ; cargo build - that will force everything to the latest library versions. It’s possible there’s a winit point release upstream.

I’m on a short vacation right now; when I return, I’ll see what I can do. In the meantime, would you mind filing an issue over at GitHub - amethyst/bracket-lib: The Roguelike Toolkit (RLTK), implemented for Rust. please? That’s the Bracket-lib Github. With any luck, we can get this fixed and roll that into the next release.

1 Like

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried your suggestion and it didn’t solve the problem.

I’ll file an issue on your git hub,

Enjoy your vacation!