Half-DIY temperature and humidity sensor

Hello,

I would like to have temperature and humidity sensors in every of my rooms.
Now, I could simply buy those cheap home weather stations with a few remote sensor units and call it a day, but that would be boring. Also, those weather stations only store min and max values for a limited time window (last 24h I guess).

My end goal is to have Gauge and Graph panels for every room inside a single Grafana dashboard with the data coming from Prometheus. So I would have a central Prometheus server running inside my home network that would somehow collect the data. InfluxDB would also be nice and would probably be better for long term storage (but the DB is not the problem here).

I would be totally fine to put a Raspberry Pi inside each room but I don’t like the sensor solutions I have seen so far. From what I have seen, one needs to connect them via jumper cables to the GPIO pins and end up with a horrible looking mess.

Are there sensors with better integration (USB) or simple heads I can put on the RPI?

I wouldn’t even mind going with a proprietary solution, as long as it gives me a reasonable way to access the data and do with it whatever I want.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Phillipp

4 Likes

I’d be interested in this too!

I bought a humidity tester a while back as I was concerned about the humidity here - there’s a river running at the end of the garden and, well, this is Wales - where’s it’s usually damp weather most of the year!

A Raspberry Pi in each room seems like a lot tho… unless it was used for other things too? Such as a home CCTV or other security system, perhaps sensors to activate lights etc?

Or use a single unit and attach to a vehicle that is also controlled by the system, which goes into each room every day to check settings? Now that would be very cool! :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

For me, it would mean 3 or 4 units, not that bad. One can always buy the older models for such simple tasks. Here comes also the idea of a proprietary solution with a central unit and then some remote units into play. But it would be required to have an API I can call to get all the data and I bet such a thing is pretty rare or pretty expensive.

2 Likes