Give me your quickest Kubernetes guides, please

As a part of my new job I’ll have to learn to manage a local k8s cluster. The tools used are microk8s, tilt and helm.

I’ll appreciate any and all guides that stood out to you and made you grok that matter more quickly and better overall.

It’s okay if it’s a book. I’ll buy 5 if I have to.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Personally I liked Kubernetes in Action from Manning. It actually explains the concepts and thoughts behind the various resource types and also has some chapters at the end which go into depth in how Kubernetes works under the hood.

Definitely helped in making me feel prepared for my day to day work with Kubernetes.

3 Likes

I like the reviews and the summary. Only one concern: the book is from 2017. Do you think some parts might be out of date?

2 Likes

Yes, there are some parts out of date but nothing significant.

Some resources were only available in beta which are now regularly available, and some example definitions use deprecated features, but the CLI will warn you about the deprecations.

3 Likes

They have a second edition released in beta this year :+1:

Just checked and couldn’t find any PragProg books about it…

3 Likes

I found this book easy to understand and very helpful Kubernetes Up & Running

3 Likes

@dimitarvp I’ve been interested in Kubernetes as well. Do you use the Docker for Desktop (if you’re on Mac/Windows) and the Kubernetes version that comes with it, or install it separately? And then do you use minikube or run the full Kubernetes cluster locally? Sorry for hijacking the thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I work under Linux now and I’ve just installed docker and microk8s separately. As much as I dislike both technologies, this way of installing them proved to be really easy to work with.

Haven’t tried k8s on my Macs yet and I suspect I never will. :smiley:

2 Likes

Got it, thanks :+1: Would be good to hear which one of the recommended resources you decided to go for in the end? Anything else that you’ve found helpful?

1 Like

I didn’t buy the books. My team informed me that I just need a baseline knowledge and operating experience (stop/start clusters and sometimes modify configs, that’s all) so I went with microk8s docs which are of very high quality. They also saved my skin: the “Troubleshooting” -> “Common issues” article solved my problem immediately.

3 Likes

Apologies, I meant microk8s in my above post and not minik8s (such a thing doesn’t exist).

1 Like