Getting Clojure (PragProg)

Learning Clojure involves much more than just learning the mechanics. To really get Clojure you need to understand the ideas underlying its structure of framework and features. This accessible introduction to Clojure focuses on the ideas behind the language as well as the practical details of writing code.

Russ Olsen @russolsen

edited by Michael Swaine @michaelswaine

Learning Clojure involves much more than just learning the mechanics. To really get Clojure you need to understand the ideas underlying its structure of framework and features. This accessible introduction to Clojure focuses on the ideas behind the language as well as the practical details of writing code.

Explore the syntax and the mechanics behind each language feature, and then dig into the deeper questions: What is the thinking behind the feature? How does it fit with the rest of the language? Learn Clojure’s simple syntax, and why that syntax is integral to the way the language is constructed. Discover why Clojure’s immutable data structures lead to more reliable programs. See how easy it is to write Clojure functions and how you can use them to build complex and capable systems.

Use real-world examples to see the challenges of programming through the eye of experienced Clojure developers.

“At long last, Russ Olsen brings his engaging and encouraging style to the Clojure landscape. I wish Getting Clojure had been available when I was learning the language. If you’re looking for a smooth transition into Clojure, this is it.”

–Ben Vandgrift, Chief Architect, Oryx Systems, Inc.

• Full details: Search
  • View this book’s portal and details on how to post errata and suggestions here.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve read a few books on Clojure and this is the most engaging and accessible introduction I’ve found.

Whether I decide to proceed with the language or not, I definitely plan on re-reading this book someday just for the fun of it.

Thank you Russ and @michaelswaine!

3 Likes

Russ Olsen is one of my favourite tech authors Ted - every book of his that I have read has been brilliant! I might just have to get this book because he wrote it! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Russ is one of my favorite tech authors, and I know I’m not alone in this. I really enjoyed working with him on this book, which is both conceptually deep and charmingly accessible. He’s been hinting about a new book in the works, and I’ll jump at the chance to be his editor again.

4 Likes

Ooooooo exciting! Any idea what it might be about Michael?

1 Like

If Russ feels like dropping hints, I’ll leave that to him.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write Ted. And let me say that working with @michaelswaine was one of the best parts of creating Getting Clojure.

4 Likes

I’ve been plugging away at a book about functional programming for a more general programmer audience. Slow going as these things are but I’m getting there.

Hint dropped.

6 Likes

That sounds amazing Russ!!!

I am sure it will be a huge hit - I’ll certainly be buying it :nerd:

2 Likes

After reading the comments here I went ahead and bought the book today, read half way through (I was bored; I am glad I was). Really good book, I wish I had this when I was learning Clojure! Thank you for this!

4 Likes

Also great for ex-Clojurians retraining their muscle memories.

3 Likes

It means you’re really getting Clojure. :slight_smile:
I wish the new book he’s writing is about LFE or Gleam.

3 Likes

I see what you did there lol. I did re-train my muscle memory and then lost it again due to lack of practice.

3 Likes

Wait, is @russolsen using/into LFE or Gleam? If he wrote a book about either one of those I think that would be a HUGE win for them :003:

Either way I hope we’ll see a general functional programming book from him soon :blush:

2 Likes