Free Your Inner Nonfiction Writer (PragProg)

Free your inner nonfiction writer as you learn to write fast and well.

d-jrnfwriter-500

Johanna Rothman @jrothman

This work was written and produced entirely by the author. We are proud to be distributing it.

Learn how to write nonfiction fast and well. Start with choosing one ideal reader and help that reader understand why you’re writing this piece. You’ll learn three possible structures to organize any piece of writing, including blog posts, newsletters, and book chapters. Create and fill your idea bank with everything you want to write, from big ideas to smaller fieldstones. Learn to cycle—not edit—as you clarify your ideas. That’s because nonfiction writers learn as they write. Apply these ideas so your readers can see why your words matter.

Do you want to write nonfiction better and faster? But when you try to write, you feel stuck, or you don’t like what you wrote, or you’re not sure why anyone would want to read your words. You can enjoy writing, especially when you integrate thinking and learning as you write. And, when you wait to edit until the end, you can write faster. Learn how to educate, influence, and entertain people with your writing.
You’ll learn how to:

• Separate writing, which includes thinking and learning, from editing.
  • Focus on your readers, so you write what they need to know.
  • Face your writing fears.
  • Find your author voice, so you sound like you.
  • Be ready to write, so you never have to face a blank page.
  • Empathize with your readers to write about what matters to them.
  • How to edit just enough.
  • Evolve your writing system.

And more.

Buy this book and learn how to write nonfiction to educate, influence, and entertain.

Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your complex problems. She helps leaders and teams learn to see practical alternatives that help them achieve more agility in their work. With that knowledge, they can choose what—and how—to adapt their product development.

With her trademark practicality and humor, Johanna is the author of 19 books, hundreds of articles, and thousands of blog posts about many aspects of product development. Her most recent books are the Modern Management Made Easy series. Find the Pragmatic Manager, a monthly email newsletter, and her blogs at jrothman.com and createadaptablelife.com.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Looks like a great book for all you budding authors :003:

1 Like

I’ve been writing since I could read (a long time) and I still don’t have writing chops like Johanna Rothman. Johanna @jrothman is like a ballet dancer of non-fiction writing. She makes it look effortless and graceful, but behind the scenes is hard work, practice, and constant strides to improve. I’m so happy she is now sharing what that work looks like!

2 Likes

You are very kind, @Margaret. Thank you.

1 Like

For the first time I read it “Fee your inner notification writer”.

Looks like a nice book from a talented author. I would love to read it someday.

Congratulations @jrothman!

2 Likes

I laughed!! Thanks.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :grinning:
And thank you for all your work!

@Margaret, don’t you think “Tie up your inner notification writer” can be a good title for some book about fighting procrastination?

1 Like

@DevotionGeo

Tie up? Hmmm…

1 Like

:laughing:

When a procrastinator is working, even if s/he isn’t distracted by some notification on his computer/mobile screen and its sound, there is an urge to jump to something else (other than the work currently needs to be done). You can call that urge the inner notification writer.

A procrastinator needs to tie up that urge, like one ties up a person.

1 Like

Ah okay, @DevotionGeo I get what you are saying now. The term “tie up” has a bit too sinister a connotation, so maybe “banish” instead?

-Margaret

2 Likes

Yes, “banish” is a better word. :slight_smile:

2 Likes