Free Phoenix LiveView Course

liveview-large

Let’s get real. As in really knowing—clearly and practically—what’s up with Phoenix LiveView.

• What is it?
  • How does it work?
  • What can I really build with it?

In this free video course from The Pragmatic Studio, you’ll get straight answers to these questions by seeing LiveView in action. One concept at a time. One real-world example at a time. One “AHA!” moment at a time.

We explore in-depth:

• the overall programming model—it’s addictive, so consider yourself warned

• what makes LiveView unique— it’s a game-changer

• 15+ real-life examples—slip them right into your app

Nothing is left behind the scenes as “magic.” By seeing LiveView used in many different situations, you’ll quickly build up a strong intuition for when and how to use it.

“This is an awesome course! I really appreciate the way you build up the knowledge bit by bit. I’m already feeling confident to go out and use LiveView in my own projects.” - Jaime Iniesta

Get your copy of this free course today!

15 Likes

Loving this course so far!

1 Like

Thanks - glad to hear it, Steven!

2 Likes

The video about the life cycle of live view was a game changer for me. It cleared out some of my misconceptions, thus making me more pro-efficient in using live view by not going against the program model inadvertently.

I see a lot of devs putting questions in the Elixir Forum that are related with the lack of knowledge about the life cycle of live view, despite some thinking they already know it well :wink:

1 Like

:clapper: Today we released the video for Example #10: Form Create, plus a challenging exercise!

In this example we use Ecto and changesets to dynamically create and add volunteers to a check-in list. As a bonus, we also use phx-update and temporary_assigns to reduce memory at web scale. :ok_hand:

live-create-demo

4 Likes

:fire: On or off? Pending or completed? Draft or published? Your Phoenix UI often needs a quick and easy way to toggle a bit of state.

Today we dropped the video for Example #12: Toggling State into our free LiveView course.

toggle-state-demo

5 Likes

:zap:Just released Example #13 in our free video course! We use Phoenix PubSub to push out real-time updates across multiple browser sessions.

Still amazed by how little code you have to write to make this work at web scale. And no hopping between languages and ecosystems — it’s all Elixir! :star_struck:

real-time-updates-demo

2 Likes

:rocket: Example #14 is now in our free LiveView course. We hook a bit of JS into a LiveView for buttery-smooth infinite scrolling, and in the exercises you interop with two JS libraries straight off npm.

Next week’s video will be on stateless and stateful LiveComponents.

infinite-screen-screencast

3 Likes

:partying_face: Today we released Example #15: LiveComponents in our LiveView course which is now complete! All the fundamentals of LiveView are bundled up for you in one nifty package. The final course has 18 videos (4 hrs) and 26 exercises. And it’s all FREE!

But there’s SO much more we want to share and explore about LiveView. So we’ve already begun creating new examples and exercises for a LiveView Pro course. :star_struck:

Just a few of the areas we’ve already started to explore include:

• More on LiveComponents such as extracting reusable components, how they fit into a more complex app, and parent-child communication using Phoenix PubSub

• More ways to interop with JavaScript including charts and maps (yes, and likely some Alpine JS)

• Authentication since this topic turned out to be more involved than we originally anticipated

• Testing because LiveView has such an awesome testing story

• Designing a custom component such as a modal for dialogs and notifications

• Live progress updates for background jobs

• File uploads which, according to Chris McCord, are coming soon to LiveView

This will be a paid course, and we fully intend to give you more than your money’s worth. :smiley:

By purchasing the Pro version later this year, you’ll allow us to continue updating and offering the free version as a community resource. And you’ll also help make this a sustainable endeavor for the two of us.

If you’re interested in the Pro course, pick up a copy of the free Starter course and we’ll send you progress updates as we roll along.

Thanks so much for being with us on this ride!

3 Likes

Congratulations to you both! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Your course certainly helped generate lots of buzz and excitement for Elixir and I’m sure got many people to give Phoenix a go!

I can’t wait to do the course myself (I am going to do it after finishing Programming Phoenix) and I will definitely be looking forward to seeing your LiveView Pro course - please keep us posted(/start a dedicated thread for it) :nerd_face:

1 Like

:rocket: Today we opened early access to the Pro Package of our Phoenix LiveView course! So now you can get the course in two flavors…

The Starter Package

Wondering what LiveView is all about? Want to cut through the hype and see real-life examples of what it can do?

The Starter Package is where you should, well, start! We’re offering it as a 100% free community resource with no strings attached. It’s our gift to the community.

You get 18 videos and 25 exercises showing you exactly how to start using LiveView to build rich, real-time user experiences with server-rendered HTML.

The Pro Package

Curious what other problems LiveView can help you solve? Considering using it on your project?

The Pro Package picks up where the Starter Package leaves off and gives you more LiveView examples you can slip right into your application.

As of today, with early access you get 18 more videos and 19 more exercises in 5 new, in-depth sections:

• Extracting Components

• Testing (8 videos!)

• Authentication (5 videos)

• Authenticating LiveViews

• Triggering Controller Actions

And that’s just the beginning: more pro-level content is on the way!

By purchasing this upgrade at the special early access price, you can dive into the Pro Package today and get a steady diet of new sections until we’ve finished the course.

If just one video or example saves you an hour of time, it’s worth it! We’ve done all the work and research for you. :nerd_face:

Also, by upgrading to the Pro Package you’ll allow us to continue offering the Starter Package as a free community resource. You’ll also help make this a sustainable endeavor for the two of us because, as we all know, LiveView will change. Your support will allow us to offer free updates to this course as necessary. :pray:

Many thanks for your support!

3 Likes

Just want to add a shout-out here. I bought the full course and it’s so good. I love the clarity, simplicity, and personality that these courses offer. The practical and detailed examples save me lots and lots of time of wandering through docs all by myself.

4 Likes