Even Amazon can't make sense of serverless or microservices

Even Amazon can’t make sense of serverless or microservices.
The Prime Video team at Amazon has published a rather remarkable case study on their decision to dump their serverless, microservices architecture and replace it with a monolith instead. This move saved them a staggering 90%(!!) on operating costs, and simplified the system too. What a win! But beyond celebrating their good sense, I th…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

Use the right architecture for the right job. Not every app needs to be a jumble of microservices.

1 Like

Microservices has its flaws and uses. Check your context.

1 Like

Whenever you find a “microservice” it’s a good candidate for refactoring into a local class wrapping a couple of SQL calls.

1 Like

I haven’t got around to reading it yet, but I’ve had this open in a tab for ages:

2 Likes

Doing Microservices or not do have a lot of consideration. Personally, I will do certain kinds of analysis (say DDD) before I really go from a big APIs to Microservices.

However, as of my understanding and the number of candidates I interviewed, I think most people make such kinds of decision based on some random reasons or unsupported believes.

2 Likes