Effective Haskell: Chapter 5 typos and suggestions

At the end of “Depending on Other Files” (ePub p 153), it says “In the next section you’ll learn the basics of Haskell’s syntax and grammar.” I think this must be left over from before some restructuring took place.

In “Using Qualified Imports” (ePub p. 154): “enhancement to he readability” - he should be the

In “Creating Your Own Modules” (ePub, p.155): “The file should be place directories” should be “The file should be placed in directories” (maybe “placed in a directory structure” or “placed in subdirectories”?). Also should it be pointed out that the relative path should be where the library source dirs is located?

“Effectively Using Modules With Records” (ePub p 156) starts “The first way to fix the problem duplicate records …”. But the approach of uniquely naming the fields by using the record name has already been present. The opening of this section should be reworded to reflect that.

“Writing Documentation and Packaging” (ePub - p. 161) says that we’ll be using stack throughout the book. Is that true, or are we using cabal?

1 Like

Thank you for these notes, I’m working on incorporating all of this feedback- I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all up!

I’m really enjoying the book and am happy to help make it better. I think it’s filling a unique niche in the Haskell book ecosystem, introducing common idioms used by experienced Haskellers and demystifying the Haskell environment.