Do you eat any foods containing gluten?

Just curious - do you eat any foods containing gluten? Do you have any thoughts on gluten?

Examples of foods containing gluten:

• Bread (inc flat breads such as chapatis, pita breads etc)
  • Pasta
  • Spaghetti
  • Many types of biscuits
  • Anything containing wheat, barley, rye, spelt, etc
Do you or have you ever eaten gluten?
  • Yes - since an early age
  • Yes - but not until after the age of 10
  • Not anymore - did while growing up but not now
  • Not anymore - wasn’t a big part of my staple diet growing up but did have some, but not anymore
  • Not really - only tried it a handful of times (less than 10 to date)
  • No - never eaten it

0 voters

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1355560419537154049

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Not all answers are covered. We on the Balkans for example have a heavy carb / starch diet from an early age. Nowadays I am limiting it though.

2 Likes

I’m vegan in a “bread and potatoes” country. So yes.

2 Likes

I ate a lot of pasta and bread growing up, but have lived without those carbs for quite some time. I do still enjoy making a bread from time to time and eat a moderate amount.

2 Likes

Though I am not celiac, I tried going gluten free for a while because of all the documented benefits :slight_smile: I had a concussion and it made me more health-conscious. Eventually I found it too hard and just gave up trying to give up bread or going 100% gluten-free.

I think the trick is what you replace it with. It has to be balanced. You can’t be replacing these items with more sugary stuff or plain low-starch veggies which can really cause a low calorie count in your diet and make you feel like you’re starving (if you’re eating out and the meat portion stays the same).

So, I have cut down wheat and gluten consumption by a lot, but not completely. I still get sprouted bread and even crackers at times.

2 Likes

Have you thought about the Paleo diet? It’s what I usually recommend as a starting point because being so popular there are loads of recipes online - which makes it easier for people to get into and less likely to fail :smiley:

1 Like

:grinning: I did try that a few years ago. But I had a few health issues since so I’ve stopped trying out diets, I think I was on the verge of orthorexia to be frank :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:, and just try to eat a conventional socially normal healthy diet that includes some grains. Here’s a good article on orthorexia: What Are The Five Warning Signs of Orthorexia? | Integrative Life Center

Are you on the Paleo diet? What’s your experience been? :grinning:

1 Like

I think we all go through a stage like that :blush: but I’d only really be concerned if it was damaging my health in someway.

The paleo diet is a good introduction to healthy eating imo - it’s a great springboard to explore other species appropriate diets imo.

@dimitarvp keeps saying he’s going to look into dietary changes… maybe you two could go on the journey together :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah, if you people do my job for me, I likely would. :confused:

3 Likes

You’ll need a better excuse than that Dimi :rofl:

Seriously tho, for my staple meals I use a steamer, oven, or cast iron pan - you’ll probably find most paleo meals shouldn’t be too time consuming to prepare :smiley:

2 Likes

I definitely want to but it’s still a big challenge to muster the energy and the patience.

3 Likes

Start slow :blush:

2 Likes

I desperately want to make carnivore work, because that’s the easiest lifestyle, but also really love veggies and fruits. Haha. I think I can go without grains and bread. Thanks to our conversation I’ve been doing that for a couple days now. I still cheat with rice though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Are you sugar free?