Distributed Services with Go: Testing chapters

Hey y’all, just wanted to provide some context for removing the testing chapters from the table of contents.

For all books PragProg has authors write a proposal that includes a planned table of contents. At this early stage I wasn’t sure whether to put testing in their own chapters or to write tests as we went through the book/project.

When I’m writing code or building a project I would write tests as I go of course and I’d want someone learning programming from this book to do so as well, so when I began writing the book it was natural to write the tests as we went.

After finishing all the other chapters I realized I’d covered most of what I wanted on testing already in the other chapters and there wasn’t much point for adding dedicated testing chapters that’d mostly reference code we had already written.

After I finish the initial draft, I’ll go back to the existing testing code/sections in the book and add to anywhere I held back because I thought there would be dedicated testing chapters coming up.

I also like the flow of the book now where we begin with nothing and end the book by deploying our service to the internet, it’s a complete story.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Travis @travisjeffery,

Your post provides some really cool glimpses of what it is like to write a book in addition to explaining your logic for moving testing topics. DevTalk has a new Content Creators forum area if you feel like sharing more of what it is like to write a book (while it is fresh in your mind). Just a thought.

Best,
Margaret @marg

3 Likes