David Sinclair's new Lifespan podcast

AH OK - this guy is an advocate of the Carnivore diets. He eats meat twice a day every day. Let’s see how is is when he is 70 years old. He is debunking a very small part of the Blue Zones messages though. It’s not all about diets.

I finished reading Blue Zones. It’s an easy read with some good all-round tips and advice. It does not push for 100% plant based diets but rather eat meat or fish once or twice a week.

With regards to actual diets there isn’t really anything new here. However, they also identify family, community, belonging and a purpose for living as being keys to longevity.

Other tips & advice include:

• Eat what your grandparents ate
  • Get regular physical exercise
  • Family / community seems to be a key factor (support, love, acknowledged, belonging)
  • Having a life purpose
  • A glass of wine/beer a day (this surprised me)
  • Drink lots of water

This book hasn’t changed my food choices. I will continue with mainly plant-based but I do like my fish and burgers every now and then. And it’s good to know we can have a bottle of wine everyday … ah no sorry, they said a glass a day … damn!
My main take-away is around the family and community. I am lacking both. I don’t have much of a network of friends or community. I am a foreigner living in a capital city (anonymity) and I do not natively speak the language (communication constraints). Plus I am probably getting more anti social as I get older.
So I have work to do.

3 Likes