David Sinclair's new Lifespan podcast

I’m becoming more and more sceptical :lol:

I think it’s great that he’s doing all this but I think more and more people are coming up refuting some of the claims he is making or pointing out fallacies.

I think I am going back to what works for me - I have tried lots of different diets /detoxes / regimes now and can definitely see the upsides to many of them, but some of them are incredibly boring (strict carnivore or vegan on the other site) and some of them I didn’t do/look so great on.

What about you? What are your current thoughts?

2 Likes

Here’s the season finale:

I do agree with how they ended it - things are truly in your own hands. What you do can make a huge difference to your life :023:

1 Like

If I understand his approach he is using drugs along with fasting but I haven’t followed the podcast enough yet. I need to watch a few more of his episodes to understand his idea properly. Andrew Hubberman has the best suggestion that could possibly work for me most of the time - fast 1 hour when you wake and 2-3 hours before going to bed. I’ve been doing it for a few weeks now and I seem to be sleeping better.
I am going to try a 24h water fast this month. I am interested in the fasting techniques from an immunity boosting perspective and not as a “fountain of youth” perspective.
As for diets - the starting point for everyone is to REMOVE PROCESSED FOODS. I think the rest will happen naturally on an individual basis.

2 Likes

@AstonJ , another podcast on longevity you might be interested in

Looks like this topic is getting track into the mainstream

2 Likes

Looks like it could be a good one Finner… what did you think of it? Anything stand out?

Max Moore (is or at least was president of Alcor) thinks it’s insane that govts aren’t doing more with cryonics for the gen population. I can see his point, it’s only a matter of time before the tech gets there (assuming we don’t annihilate ourselves before we get to that stage!) Maybe cryonics will be making it more into the mainstream too?

2 Likes

In short, I didn’t like the guy. Too corporate, capitalistic and globalized.
For example: his comments on buying his kids books on amazon because they have next day delivery. Yeah well, what about supporting your local bookstore?
This guy strikes me as a businessman, just trying to guess and follow where the big money will be in the near future.

Two things I do agree with however:

• Global reformation of the health system
  • Global reformation of the education system

Yuval Harari also talks about reforming the education systems in Sapiens.

With regards to cryonics: I am much more in favour of cryonics than transhumanism. But I am beginning to get the sense that the younger generation is open having technical implants.
See whats happening in Sweden for example:

2 Likes

Well I hate needles so I won’t be getting one of those! :upside_down_face:

I always thought there was two ways to look at transhumanism, what humans become, or what comes after humans. I think of it more of the former - what we will (hopefully) one day become…

2 Likes

That’s a very interesting perspective . . .
By the way, I’ve just started reading Blue Zones. Will let you know.

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to hear what you think Finner - there’s certainly some debate around it:

2 Likes

AH OK - this guy is an advocate of the Carnivore diets. He eats meat twice a day every day. Let’s see how is is when he is 70 years old. He is debunking a very small part of the Blue Zones messages though. It’s not all about diets.

I finished reading Blue Zones. It’s an easy read with some good all-round tips and advice. It does not push for 100% plant based diets but rather eat meat or fish once or twice a week.

With regards to actual diets there isn’t really anything new here. However, they also identify family, community, belonging and a purpose for living as being keys to longevity.

Other tips & advice include:

• Eat what your grandparents ate
  • Get regular physical exercise
  • Family / community seems to be a key factor (support, love, acknowledged, belonging)
  • Having a life purpose
  • A glass of wine/beer a day (this surprised me)
  • Drink lots of water

This book hasn’t changed my food choices. I will continue with mainly plant-based but I do like my fish and burgers every now and then. And it’s good to know we can have a bottle of wine everyday … ah no sorry, they said a glass a day … damn!
My main take-away is around the family and community. I am lacking both. I don’t have much of a network of friends or community. I am a foreigner living in a capital city (anonymity) and I do not natively speak the language (communication constraints). Plus I am probably getting more anti social as I get older.
So I have work to do.

3 Likes

:043:

Not sure if it’s in that video but he actually agrees with what you said here:

(That it’s probably things other than diet that have a major factor.)

It doesn’t have to be the same for everyone Finner, I feel a strong sense of purpose can be equally if not more powerful.

Plus, you are part of the Devtalk family :003:

3 Likes