Computing in your country

Inspired by the Bletchley Park thread, I was wondering what each of our countries may be famous for in computing.

Perhaps a language was created in your country? Or some well-known computer scientists are from there? Maybe there are some cool companies, conferences or other bits of tech around? Or maybe it’s just something you are personally proud of?

Whatever it may be, please share :smiley:

1 Like

Well, apart from the computers being invented is partially (or completely, depending whom you ask) is attributed to the Bulgarian John Atanasoff, I can’t think of anything else. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah nice!

Similarly, we have Alan Turing:

Alan Turing, mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst and computer scientist. Turing is widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence. His Turing machines — formal and simple hypothetical devices that formalised the concepts of algorithm and computation — played an important part in the creation of the modern computer.

Source: link

The way he was treated touched a lot of people’s hearts, and some say that even the Apple logo was created to honour him.

Turing died in June 1954, apparently after eating an apple poisoned with cyanide. An inquest determined that his death was suicide.

Whether true or not, whenever I see the Apple logo I think of Alan Turing.

https://media-assets-03.thedrum.com/cache/images/thedrum-prod/s3-1200px-apple_logo_think_different_vectorized.svg__0--default--1200.png

The ‘rainbow’ version shown above was the first iteration of the modern Apple logo.

1 Like