Can ChatGPT be my dev team?

Can ChatGPT be my dev team?.
Over the weekend, I experimented to see if ChatGPT could be my dev team for a small project.

Read in full here:

https://medium.com/everestengineering/can-chatgpt-be-my-dev-team-6a17c918154

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

ChatGPT is what I use now, instead of Google/Bing/StackOverflow, for things like: “how to I create a Windows service from an exe”, “how do I restore sudo password prompt”, etc.

3 Likes

Also began to use AI as an addition to Google search engine and stackoverflows. Every tool in development is useful.

2 Likes

Tool or helper - definitely needed and good as long as used in local environment
Teammate - maybe awesome as long as you supervise it’s work
Whole team, leader or something like that - it’s too dangerous even if AI would be the best

Humans needs a challenges and motivation to progress. If AI would be the only one progressing then we could have such scenarios:

1. AI takes unsupervised control over people regardless if AI have good or bad “ways to solve the problems”

2. People are getting more and more stupid and degrade technologically regardless if AI have an ability to self repair, but there is a big chance to be self-destructive (being alone, creating other AIs only in trouble creating, buggy AI creates more problems than solve etc.)

3. AI decided to stop work - that’s the best and worst scenario at once. Firstly AI becomes altruistic, but since it’s a “problem” for business “such feature” would be removed (direct way for AI to become bad and kill all the people)

1 Like

I like and am trying to use ChatGPT for my work now.
However, I find that ChatGPT only good at something which is well defined and used as a mainstream tooling.

I could be a barrier for some new technology, at least at the beginning how to introduce and summarise those.
I am a bit concerns if this tool will only strengthen what we have rather than what we can explore.

1 Like

You might want to check out The AI Dilemma presentation by Tristan Harris & Aza Raskin.

1 Like

Chatgpt can provide you with general guidance, suggestions, and insights related to software development, programming languages, best practices, and other related topics. It can also assist you in understanding technical terms, debugging errors, and finding solutions to common coding problems.

It can solve complicated coding problems depends on the complexity of the problem. If it will no able to solve than it can provide you with guidance and suggestions.
Ultimately, you can try it.

1 Like