Call an Exorcist! My Robot’s Possessed! | McAfee Blogs

As part of our continued goal of helping developers provide safer products for businesses and consumers, we here at McAfee Advanced Threat Research (ATR) recently investigated temi, a teleconference robot produced by Robotemi Global Ltd. Our research led us to discover four separate vulnerabilities in the temi robot, which this paper will describe in great detail. These include:

CVE-2020-16170 – Use of Hard-Coded Credentials
CVE-2020-16168 – Origin Validation Error
CVE-2020-16167 – Missing Authentication for Critical Function
CVE-2020-16169 – Authentication Bypass Using an Alternate Path of Channel

Together, these vulnerabilities could be used by a malicious actor to spy on temi’s video calls, intercept calls intended for another user, and even remotely operate temi – all with zero authentication.

Do you know who McAfee’s recommend to mitigate their Mobile API security issues?

Per McAfee’s vulnerability disclosure policy, we reported our findings to Robotemi Global Ltd. on March 5, 2020. Shortly thereafter, they responded and began an ongoing dialogue with ATR while they worked to adopt the mitigations we outlined in our disclosure report.

I know who, and I cannot reveal, but can give you a tip Mobile App Attestation and CASE STUDY: Making Sure Our Own Robots Are What They Say They Are.

2 Likes

And people wonder why I hate using video conferencing (and similar) software :laughing:

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.