Build your custom Phoenix phx.new generator

I’m showing you how you can customise the phx.new generator to give you a new Phoenix project the way YOU want it. In this post I show you an example of how we can add Oban preinstalled and configured to new Phoenix projects.

2 Likes

In this case copy-paste makes sense, but making step-by-step guide describing each part of generator helps a lot understanding how everything works. Look that changes in existing repositories are much easier if you have some experience in production. Therefore I would not recommend it for new developers. :spiral_notepad:

Somebody may not agree with me and they may have a solid arguments for it, but I’m used to think in long term. What would happen if new developers would “learn” to copy-paste existing code and only slightly modify it for their needs. Do you have a red light already? No? What about I would mention AI-based generators? :thinking:

Also there is one part missing. It would be worth mentioning how to publish said archive to hex server. :mag:

That’s said … In general I did not heard about many Elixir generators and writing the article about it is amazing idea! :heart:

1 Like