Bootstrap 5 Released

Bootstrap 5 has officially landed! After three alphas, three betas, and several months of hard work, we’re shipping the first stable release of our new major version. It’s been a wild ride made possible by our maintainers and the amazing community that uses and contributes to Bootstrap. Thanks to all who have helped us get here!

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Since I changed to TailwindCSS, I have not looked back to Bootstrap 4. I have to try this since I have read that it has been influenced by TailwindCSS.

Maybe it is a nice middle point between the customization of TailwindCSS and the pre-defined templates but the faster development of Bootstrap.

2 Likes

Let us know what you think of it Andrés :+1:

1 Like

The biggest thing I notice from that announcement isn’t about Bootstrap 5, but rather that libsass is deprecated… Instead of updating it they decided to just deprecate it, and they replace it with dart-sass, which is not native code and instead requires dart and a dart runtime, so those people who were linking libsass into native programs to run on arch’s that things like javascript and dart don’t support are now just SOL, this does not seem like a smart move by the sass authors, but it does match what I expect from the javascript/dart ecosystems… >.>

3 Likes

Yeah, screw prebuilt binaries, right? They could have chosen a tool that’s written in Go or Rust and just point people at a website – “you’ll need this tool” – and be done with it but no, as you said the JS ecosystem strikes again.

2 Likes

From my understanding dart can make standalone binaries (I think), it’s mainly the issue of being unable to embed it as it doesn’t run on all hardware that some dynamic servers run on.

1 Like

Well, details don’t matter much. It can be Visual Basic for all I care. As long as you’re able to ship a standalone binary that I can download and run to do my work then it should be fine.

2 Likes