BBC Micro at 40: How it inspired a generation of coders

During the 1980s the BBC ran the Computer Literacy Project exploring the world of computing.

A series of home computers known as BBC Micros were created and viewers were taught how to program them.

The project helped inspire a generation of coders.

The BBC’s Alex Humphrey’s visits the National Computing Museum to find out more.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

The BBC Micro has a special place in my heart. My father was teaching computer skills evening classes at the local library, and one day he came home with a Model B. 32k of memory, cassette-storage, and a flickering green monitor. He plugged it in, fired up the Acorn demo tape, and I was hooked. This magical box could show pictures and games! He eased me into BASIC (the BBC BASIC language is a thing of beauty, with proper functions and procedures) and I was the happiest 7-year-old on the block. There’s nothing too impressive about:

10 PRINT "HELLO WHAT IS YOUR NAME"
20 INPUT A$
30 PRINT "HELLO ";A$

But for me, it was pure magic. I could make it talk! I gradually worked up to writing games, some of which were even fun to play. My parents dutifully admired my creations and gave encouragement.

Years later, I’ve worked with everything from C to Rust, Pascal to Visual Basic for Applications. My wrist-watch is more powerful than the old Beeb. Yet, I don’t think I’d have achieved any of this without a good grounding on the BBC Micro and parental encouragement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah that’s awesome Herbert - thanks for sharing your story :smiley:

What’s been your favourite language/s so far? Actually don’t answer that - I’ll ask it in your AMA when/if you do a PragProg Author Spotlight :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’m hoping to do an author spotlight about the time Hands-On Rust goes into final release.

2 Likes