Are Dynamic Languages Going to Replace Static Languages? (2003)

For many years we’ve been using statically typed languages for the safety they offer. But now, as we all gradually adopt Test Driven Development, are we going to find that safety redundant? Will we therefore decide that the flexibility of dynamically typed languages is desirable?

Read in full here:

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=4639

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I hope they don’t. Also, good to see a good old Artima post, it’s been ages since I’ve been linked to one of those.

2 Likes

No way in hell. Even though there’s a push towards statically typed languages, I am convinced both camps will keep segregating. :101:

2 Likes

Yup. I think both have their purposes.

2 Likes

That too. While I personally grew to dislike dynamic typing, I can’t deny that for many quick one-off ideas such languages are much more convenient.

2 Likes

Why do you think type inference has gotten so popular. :wink:

You get to have both the safety and performance of static, without adding types all over the place! ^.^

OCaml is awesome for that.

4 Likes

Oh I know exactly why, lol. People always want to both have their cake and eat it too. But to be fair, with an awfully mentally taxing job like programming we really need all the help we can get…

Eh, if my life keeps improving with that snail-on-sleeping-pills tempo… I’ll likely pick up OCaml when I retire. :expressionless:

I want to focus on Rust a bit more now but since I just switched jobs for another Elixir company this will likely wait – but I’ll see if I can push for a duo-lingual approach. If not, I’ll live through it easily. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which is also why every IDE I’ve seen in over 10 years also shows the types of things inline. ^.^

2 Likes

It is more like striking a balance.
More and more people prefer a using dynamic type language for kickstarting a project.
As the project grows, they try to make use of the additional static type feature.

3 Likes