Apple's One More Thing event (Nov 10 2020)

Just over an hour to go… anyone going to be watching it?

New Macs? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

It’s on :+1:

New MBA
New Mac mini
New 13" MBP

All with their new M1 chip and said to be 3x faster with significantly longer battery life. Look good, but will they be stable? I think in a years time they should be, with most of the bugs ironed out.

I might get one when they’re at M4 :nerd_face:

I feel the pricing makes for a very good experience at a very accessible price. I think an Air is a great starting point for aspiring programmers and designers alike. Just upgrade the memory and maybe the storage and you’re ready to go.

When I started programming I felt as if I couldn’t even think about purchasing anything less than a MacBook Pro. And though purchased refurbished, it was still a chunk.

You could even go for a Mini if you knew you didn’t need the portability.

1 Like

Definitely :+1: I used a tiny 11" MBA for years and I loved it. I mainly used it with an external monitor but I loved how I could take it pretty much anywhere.

The most powerful Mac I’ve had is a Mac Pro, the one I loved most (at least to begin with) was my MBA because it felt like such a personal computer - but I love my new 16" MBP most now: thanks to its smaller bezels, great performance and USB-C connectivity and speed for things like external HDs - it’s much closer to a Mac Pro experience and the ease of docking it (just one cable) and it gets charged, powers my display to which I have external HDs connected (for TM backups) my amplifier, and an iPhone cable and a standard mini-USB for things like my Kindle. It just feels like the best of all worlds.

Only thing I want is a new Apple Pro Display, but I doubt that will be happening any time soon due to how much they cost! :rofl:

Just found the time to go through the presentation. Interesting stuff. Am I right that the only difference between the MBA and the MBP is the cooling fan, enabling the MBP to run longer?

I’ve been burnt almost every time I’ve bought a Mac right out of the gate, without giving things a few months to cool off - even this 16" MBP had to go back for repairs - but the performance increases Apple is claiming are pretty dramatic. I’m very curious to see how the new M1 MBP benchmarks vs. my 16" Intel MBP.

1 Like

Good point - I don’t recall any mentions of differences but I am guessing they will be in RAM and HD size… and there might even be differences in the display as well.

I would probably wait at least one year - if it is going to be your full time machine. I don’t think the performance will come close to your 16" MBP as it has a dedicated GPU and probably a lot more RAM and a big HD.

Order one Greg and let us know what you think - you can always send it back if you don’t like it :laughing: