Apple launches Lockdown Mode to block spyware attacks on at-risk users

The new feature will be available in the autumn and comes after its devices were successfully targeted.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

Lockdown Mode will include the following protections:

• Messages: Most message attachment types other than images are blocked. Some features, like link previews, are disabled
  • Web browsing: Certain complex web technologies, like just-in-time JavaScript compilation, are disabled unless the user excludes a trusted site
  • Calls: Incoming invitations including FaceTime calls, are blocked if the user has not previously sent the initiator a call or request
  • Wired connections with a computer or accessory are blocked when iPhone is locked

At launch, Lockdown Mode will be available to all users in the device settings, but Apple suggests it should only be activated if someone is a risk of what it calls “mercenary spyware attacks” - for example a journalist or opposition leader in a repressive regime.

So I’ll be turning it on :lol:

Anyone else?

I don’t see myself enabling it, but I may enable it on my mother’s iPhone, she tends to click on any link she receives :slight_smile:.

When I want to not be disturbed I use the Focus setting.

2 Likes

I tried using time limit on apps, but it just asks you whether you want to bypass it :roll_eyes: Is focus the same? Can it be easily switched off?

What I did recently was block YouTube and this has been a big help. I find it easy to delete apps like TikTok because they are purely entertainment based, but YouTube is dangerous - because it contains so much useful stuff/info too. However I really don’t like how the new CEO basically told all content creators to make vids at least 11 minutes long (so they can serve more ads) and now there’s just so much crap in videos just to meet this length. It’s become common where 20 seconds of actual useful info is piled into a 15 minute video. YouTube should be ashamed of this - what was once a useful and often educational platform is now literally wasting years of people’s lives, and for nothing more than greed :icon_mad:

To switch it on/off you go to Settings and do it manually. But you can also enable it between certain hours and it will be automatic. On my iPad it is always on, on my iPhone it is on during the night and my working hours.

1 Like

Just had a quick look… is it just for notifications?

I thought I read you can limi it to certain apps only per focus period… or did I dream it :confused:

No idea, I only use it for notifications.

1 Like