Any dev specific plans this year?

Not necessarily related to learning (will be starting a thread about that soon!) but any other dev related plans?

New job? New hardware? New OS? New framework or language? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I will be reformatting my Mac as soon as the latest release of Big Sur is out (11.2).

Although I love Big Surā€™s visual and UX improvements, itā€™s probably been the worst in terms of performance and bugs - it takes 30 seconds to open apps like Affinity Photo/Designer whereas when I first bought this machine a year ago they opened almost instantly.

If it is still running like a hog after a clean format and install 11.2 I am going to seriously consider asking them for a refund because theyā€™ve either stopped caring about non-Apple-silicon Macs or they are purposely throttling them so that people ā€˜upgradeā€™!! Apple are not in my good books at the mo :see_no_evil: :laughing:

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1349826634929623040

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I got a new job two weeks ago. :wink:

Switching Elastic out with Boon.tv, which is why I got new hardware (MacBook Pro M1)

2 Likes

Ah nice congratulations Ohm!

Are they using Ruby?

1 Like

We are, yes! A new-ish Rails app running Rails 6.0.0 (soon to be upgraded) with Ruby 2.7.2. The app is split into an front end app (build with React) and an API utilizing ActiveModel serializers to do all the heavy work.

3 Likes
  • Learn Rust on a hardcore pro level. I am already quite good there but with Rust you have much more levels between ā€œnewbieā€ and ā€œproā€ compared to every other language I ever worked with. The learning curve to being really good is steep. I donā€™t mind. Itā€™s a very enjoyable, if taxing, journey.
  • Learn or maybe even author more Elixir tooling. As mentioned in other threads, I am mostly interested in having tools that change an Elixir project with minimal human interference. Especially in Phoenix and/or Absinthe projects I feel thereā€™s a plethora of activities that can be automated. Additional point: maybe automatically generate controller and/or property tests based on what such a tool can ā€œunderstandā€ about the current projectā€™s code?
  • Follow OCamlā€™s multicore saga. When it reaches maturity, make it my Python-like and bash-like language of choice. It always seemed like itā€™s very well-suited for such tasks. BTW, OCaml 5.0 is scheduled for the end of 2021 or start of 2022 and it will have multicore support out of the box, so itā€™s very likely Iā€™ll just wait for that. Mentioning @OvermindDL1 here in case he has insights on the matter.
  • Learn a LISP Scheme dialect ā€“ in this case Gerbil, mostly because it also has an actor library akin to Erlang (although I am not sure if its runtime guarantees are the same as Erlangā€™s OTP).
  • Maybe gather some money to buy a very serious Linux workstation using the Threadripper 3970X ā€“ or ideally, the Threadripper Pro 3975WX, but thatā€™s only sold in OEM worksations; still want it though! ā€“ because working on a Mac has some limitations. Mostly Docker and k8s but, using Hashicorpā€™s Nomad and various emerging tools that step on macOSā€™ newly introduced Virtualization.framework could compensate. But thatā€™s highly optional; I havenā€™t met a workflow that would mandate such a monstrous power so Iā€™d be content with abusing my iMac Pro for years to come still. But, Iā€™d like to settle down and stop buying tech for 5+ years and I feel that investing in whatā€™s best-in-class at the time of the purchase is a very strong guarantee that my plan will work and I wonā€™t get tempted by new shinies for a while (hopefully!).
  • Learn 1 or 2 non-programming crafts. Long-term goal, might last me until my grave even, but I feel that branching out of programming also makes you a better programmer. :slight_smile:
  • Claim back my health! This probably should have been on top.
4 Likes

Naughty Dimi! This should be at the very top of the list :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I am going to learn Scala this year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Be able to start side projects is my plan this year. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But Elixir/Phoenix/LiveView sounds like another option for me for a side project.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for it for years! Itā€™ll be nice to see it finally land. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m really not a fan of Rustā€™s async implementation, the design that OCaml is doing (last I checked) appears to be significantly more thought out, if only Rust could have done the sameā€¦

2 Likes

I feel the same way to be honest. While Rustā€™s async is okay I believe it missed a lot of important details and they kind of rushed it because they got sick of it being unreleased ā€“ thatā€™s the vibe I got from the Rust community at the time.

Rust is still extremely good but I have the creeping suspicion that one day Iā€™ll be an OCaml devā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how it feels, very rushedā€¦ It is the sole existing part of Rust I really donā€™t like (other than missing a few things I really want, like GATā€™s, lol).

1 Like

I just got hired to my first jr dev job in a consultancy which uses Elixir/Phoenix, super excited to learn more coming from a RoR heavy background!

3 Likes

Suddenly it seems like what was slow is suddenly in vogue. Thats programming lanugaes or frameworks - Java 16 or spring native

2 Likes