Algorithms for Decision Making (free)

This book provides a broad introduction to algorithms for decision making under uncertainty. We cover a wide variety of topics related to decision making, intro- ducing the underlying mathematical problem formulations and the algorithms for solving them. Figures, examples, and exercises are provided to convey the intuition behind the various approaches.

This book is intended for advanced undergraduates and graduate students, as well as professionals. It requires some mathematical maturity and assumes prior exposure to multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and probability concepts. Some review material is provided in the appendices. Disciplines where the book would be especially useful include mathematics, statistics, computer science, aerospace, electrical engineering, and operations research.

Fundamental to this textbook are the algorithms, which are all implemented in the Julia programming language. We have found this language to be ideal for specifying algorithms in human-readable form. The priority in the design of the algorithmic implementations was interpretability rather than efficiency. Indus- trial applications, for example, may benefit from alternative implementations. Permission is granted, free of charge, to use the code snippets associated with this book, subject to the condition that the source of the code is acknowledged.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

4 Likes

Holy carp that’s huge! I think we need to start with an algorithm for deciding which algorithms to even read about, never mind finally use. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I thought you might find it interesting Dave :lol:

1 Like

Huge and fascinating looking, cool link!

1 Like

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I wanted to give my two cents. This book seems like a great resource, and I’m definitely interested in taking a look to learn more about algorithms for decision-making. And I’d like to mention that I often struggle with making important decisions myself.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Probably a good read on of these weekends. :slight_smile:

1 Like