Acoustic Keyboard Eavesdropping

GitHub - ggerganov/kbd-audio: :microphone::keyboard: Acoustic keyboard eavesdropping.
:microphone::keyboard: Acoustic keyboard eavesdropping. Contribute to ggerganov/kbd-audio development by creating an account on GitHub.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

This is why I don’t give apps access to mics :lol:

1 Like

Haha, quite so. ^.^

It worked surprisingly well on my quick test here.

1 Like

Even though I don’t give any website access to my mic, and I’ve also prevented my browser any access to the Mic from Security & Privacy, but still every now and then I see the amber dot at the top right, and when I open the control center, it tells me that Chrome (or some website) recently accessed my Mic.

2 Likes

What OS is that DG?

1 Like

It’s macOS Monterey.

I hope they mean the website (or Chrome) “tried” to access the Mic.

1 Like

Control centre on mine doesn’t show anything about Mics (tho I don’t use Chrome for everyday browsing)…

2 Likes

It shows for just a second or two when your mic is accessed, and then it disappears.

First you see the dot on the control center’s icon. When you click the icon, you see a mic icon with some text in the control center, like the one in this image (copied from the link you provided above). I forgot the exact text. This icon and text disappears after that.

2 Likes

So I was recording the screen to recreate this thing. But the icon and text didn’t disappear like it did before. Also, the text changed from “Chrome bla bla” to “System”. So when the system accesses the mic (while recoding the screen), the icon and text stays, and when Chrome access it, the icon and text disappears quickly. Which means Chrome couldn’t access the mic, but the system was reporting that Chrome tried to access the mic.

2 Likes

Yeah on linux here and mic is muted on everything by default, I unmute it on a program-by-program basis as I need it. ^.^

2 Likes