Would you use Erlang now when there is Elixir?

Definitely for libraries because that would be useful for a wider range of people.
I’ve also grown to adore Erlang’s syntax for its conciseness and consistency despite all its quirks.

Erlang is not the best choice for web given there’s Phoenix of course, however if Whatsapp delivers with static types I can definitely see myself writing core logic in Erlang and using Phoenix purely as a web interface.

Love both languages anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can’t get around the fact that lisp’s, and hence LFE’s, syntax is fantastic in its simplicity and consistency. It makes things so much easier, And its macros.

4 Likes

No, I was never really into erlang2, that was mainly Joe. There is another Erlang2 on its way but that is the Whatsapp group working on a newer statically typed erlang.

Still think lisp syntax is the best though. :wink:

4 Likes

I didn’t try to define a function in that way because I KNOW that you can’t do it like that. I was just trying to show that there is set of syntactic “weirdness” which make no sense if you don’t know why. Doing it like that also makes sense if/when you view do ... end as a block, which it is sort of, and you want to write the block start and end at the same indentation.

4 Likes

I am going to reserve judgement until I’ve finished reading Programming Erlang Robert :laughing:

I was under the impression it was going to be some sort of bolt-on, here’s Anton’s post from another thread:

November is here so hopefully won’t be too long before the WhatsApp team share details :nerd_face:

I wonder if it might be something like what TypeScript is to JS…

2 Likes

I hope it’s not very differnt than the Erlang we know.

2 Likes

Unfortunately sharing details is getting delayed. Please see my response in Elixir forum thread for more information: Facebook is writing a new, statically typed language to run on the BEAM?! - #34 by alavrik - Chat / Discussions (archived) - Elixir Programming Language Forum

2 Likes

I think that’s perfectly reasonable Anton, it makes sense holding off until you’re happy with what you’ve come up with :smiley:

Please keep us updated on your progress if you can :blush:

1 Like

Pls excuse my ignorance but what can elixir do or offer that erlang can’t and vice versa?

3 Likes

Primarily its macro system, erlang’s macro’s are significantly more difficult to both create and use.

5 Likes

Is this something they are trying to ‘fix’?

2 Likes

Are you referencing the macro’s? Not last I heard. Erlang’s are ‘technically’ more powerful, just significantly significantly more difficult to use in comparison.

4 Likes

Another difference comes from the reason why Elixir was built… to bring polymorphism.

That’s why Enum works for Enumerable, while Erlang has specific modules for each type.

4 Likes