Which apps do you use for reading programming books?

On my Mac I would just use Apple’s Preview which open’s PDF files, and on the Kindle their standard app.

On the iOS devices I am preferring the Kindle app to Apple’s ‘Books’ app - partly because it’s been a nightmare trying to sync books on to all devices!

On the Kindle app you just need to email yourself a copy of your book and it will appear on all connected devices, and it even syncs your notes and last read page - so you can continue reading on any device. It’s also more customisable and just a bit more polished imo.

What about you? What do you use?

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

On Linux I used to use Foxit Reader, but now I use Evince. Evince is simple enough and has the ability to remember the position where I stopped reading. On the phone (Andriod) I use ReadEra and I make a lot of bookmarks and highligths.

4 Likes

I’ve never encounter this issue. It’s kinda strange.

I use the Books.app on macOS because it’s really useful. Use to use Calibre but since I’m only on macOS at this moment, I do not find yet an equivalent. If someone as any :smiley:

And well I do not read books on my iPhone, can’t focus. Even on bigger ones.

2 Likes

I primarily read on my phone, I think the program is google books but it’s usually standalone files. On my computer I use Okular. I’ve tried evince (and still have it installed) but it’s very unusable for how I like to use the programs for my use.

1 Like

How do you sync books Maartz? I just dragged some onto the books app which opened them - but they did not sync to the iPad… although oddly, an old book (that I have since deleted) did get copied over. Very weird :lol:

Well I just drag’n’drop :sweat_smile:
The devices are linked with the same AppleID tho. I guess it’s the same for you.

1 Like

Same :lol:

They show up on my Mac app but not anywhere else.

Do you have iCloud Drive on?

Under prefs > iCloud there is no Books option

1 Like

Ok just found it! You have to set it up manually:

2 Likes

I just remembered something. Something that’s important.
Evince doesn’t have the ability to create ToC. You can make bookmarks but it’s not attached the pdf itself. Foxit Reader on the other hand can create a book a bookmark that acts like ToC and is attached to the pdf itself.
I remembered that I had to make bookmarks for some of the pdf books I read. It’s a nice and very useful feature of the Foxit Reader.

2 Likes