What is the most minimalist Linux server distro?

Nah, no way I would waste my time with an EOL distro.

Hardening a distro takes weeks of work in my spare time. I don’t use any server as they release them, they are just too much open.

2 Likes

Fair enough… and could you blog about that please? I am always interested in how to secure/harden servers :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I am documenting every step in a git repo, and making a bash script to run as user data in Digital Ocean or as part of a cloud init configuration.

This is part of my Phoenix360 project, and I will make it available in an Elixir website.

It will have guides for hardening Phoenix, servers and to build 360 web apps.

4 Likes

musl is widely known to work much slower in specific workflows. People have wrote blog articles demonstrating that going back to libc accelerated parts of their apps tenfold or more.

3 Likes

https://firecracker-microvm.github.io/

Firecracker enables you to deploy workloads in lightweight virtual machines, called microVMs, which provide enhanced security and workload isolation over traditional VMs, while enabling the speed and resource efficiency of containers. Firecracker was developed at Amazon Web Services to improve the customer experience of services like AWS Lambda and AWS Fargate .

Looks like a good bet,. Need to investigate further.

2 Likes

That’s the tech Fly.IO is stepping on I think.

3 Likes